Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I was hoping for more from the Donkey Kong universe in this game (I mean, quality not quantity)... I guess this means the stage music probably won't be some nice rearrangement from the DKC series either. Sigh... There better be a playable K. Rool "at the top."

Edit: is that Funky's plane in the last picture?

So uh, it sounds like they didn't get the message when the Ice Climbers stage was banned from competitive play.

Sounds like more like they really don't care. Maybe like a lot of people, they really don't give a shit about "competitive play" LoL

"You’re climbing up, but the water keeps flowing

down, down, down."

woah! so that's how it works! dang, I always thought it was the other way around.

FOR THE RECORD, I always liked the ambience and feel of that one DK stage in Melee, jungle japes!

hm.. was never a fan of the ice climbers level... in fact, I don't know anyone that really likes that stage. At least its not a looping mountain image, it seems like you keep going into the air, I mean, it'll loop eventually, sure, but at least their not giving us an identical reskin of the Ice Climbers level.

but... interesting tidbit that you can climb up ladders. I wonder if we'll see that implemented into any other levels that are actually fun. Hmm. I wonder if we'll see vines and things hanging off ledges so more than one person can recover from edges. That's certainly possibility, with ladders coming into the mix. That's the only substantial use of them that I can find.

I don't really see the point in using a ladder when you can just jump though... seems like everything else would be slower than jumping... so what's the point? Unless you can use some attacks while you're on there... or shoot at people from a stationary position with a gun type item.

There's no real reason to climb down them, because you can just drop down through the platform... hmm... interesting addition, but then again, I don't know how useful it will be...

Now a level that scrolls up, with no platforms and only ONE ladder to go up with... THAT i would like to see.

well, maybe there could be one small platform every 10 seconds or something, but mostly ladder action... that'd be cool. Of course this is all assuming you can jump and catch the ladder in midair.

It kinda sounds like it'll stop moving once it hits the top. Also, it doesn't sound like the Ice Climbers level in that it stays at one speed. My biggest problem with the IC level was that it kept changing direction and speeds. Sucked to be at the top of the level and it suddenly starts moving down fast.

Depending on some decisions here, I might actually play this level. Hell, Big Blue was my favorite level in Melee.

So uh, it sounds like they didn't get the message when the Ice Climbers stage was banned from competitive play.

Last time I checked, the game makers decide what's in a game, not some small fraction of players who take the game too seriously.

Having said that, I like the look of this stage. It's interesting and different enough from what we've seen so far. Which was another thing people complained about.

Would have rather seen Donkey Kong Country related stuff, but this will do fine too. Just don't have as big a history with DK Jungle Beat as I have with DKC.

:) It could have been the ship sail stage too :)

I'm sure most of you turn off the Ice Climbers stage as well as Poke Floats in your own games of Melee. I also turned off Jungle Japes because I felt the river flowing underneath was just completely unfair. It's too bad they're bringing back the vertical scrolling stages again...

Poke Floats and Jungle Japes are my favorite levels.

I'm sure most of you turn off the Ice Climbers stage as well as Poke Floats in your own games of Melee. I also turned off Jungle Japes because I felt the river flowing underneath was just completely unfair. It's too bad they're bringing back the vertical scrolling stages again...

well' date=' actually I havn't turned off any levels on Melee and plan on doing the same for Brawl.

also, I doubt that the creators of this game are going to listen to a bunch of people who shut off half the game so that they can have "competitive" play.

Seriously, if The Smash Bros games were released originally with no Items and only Simple Platform stages they would been horribly reviewed.

probably the reviewers would talk about the gameplay being paper thin and the lack of anything unique in the choice of stages. and give it a mediocre to bad review score.

Competitive Play? I do that [i']all the time! I play with All Items and All Levels on. Pick my Character and my rival picks his, pick random for stage selection and Off We GO! it all works out over time...

Competitive Play? I do that all the time! I play with All Items and All Levels on. Pick my Character and my rival picks his, pick random for stage selection and Off We GO! it all works out over time...

It is fact that this setup is the most fun you'll have with competitive play ever. If you can win a tournament with Mewtwo because you rock at item whoring, then you know at least half of the room is laughing hysterically while your opponent is freaking out because he can't hit you.

Bleh. Junk update.

Another dumb DK stage. Ooh, ladders that you'll probably be helpless climbing. Oh, scrolling. Wonderful, the water falls downward.

I don't mind oddball stages but this looks over-the-top, with the players fighting the map more than eachother.

This level looks pretty neat. I really like the general atmosphere it seems to have going on, and it's finally something more than a flat platform or two. I'll definitely be playing on this one.

Can't you see? ITS ABOUT THE COMPETITION!

I mean, the level MOVES its not supposed to do so...

So far we have seen two competition worthy stages, 4 if you have an open mind (Battleground and Animal Crossing are competitive and if you accept the random change of scenery, Delphino plaza and the Bridge if you tolerate a hazard, which you should because many people liked pokemon stadium for competitive gaming)

I love moving stages. IMO the skill to navigate a stage, being mindful of your surroundings and using them to your advantage, coping with random elements and so on are much more interesting skills than "oh look who has learned more combos with his character" or whatever. Radical dreamer i'm not sure if you were being sarcastic but the % of people who play for 'serious' competition must be very small indeed.

EDIT: must admit i hated the ice climbers stage but loved poke floats. the only stages i didn't like were the ones where it was too dark to see what was going on, like DKs old stage.

Yeah, I liked Rainbow Cruise and Poke Floats, but also hated Infinite Glacier. I hope this stage is more like Rainbow Cruise.

Well, its not exactly like Infinite Glacier, because in this one you can only go up, and from what I can see, I'd say once you reach the top you go up on planes and stop climbing.

I'd like to point out that in most American tourneys, we only ban stages if there is some large flaw in the stage (such as the horrible camera zoom-out when the ufo comes in fourside.) Lots of tournaments use poke-floats and even brinstar as counter pick stages.

It's mainly the japanese who limit the stage select to one or two.

And I hate the IC's level in melee. Then again, I hate everything about the IC's existance in melee. DK's rivier level is a pain in the ass too. Some people can use the water to their advantage, but too often when I'm gaurding at the edge the attack knocks me backwards into the water and by the time I jump I'm already underneath the stage.

Lots of tournaments use poke-floats and even brinstar as counter pick stages.

I thought Pokefloats was generally banned due to fall-through glitches (specifically on Seel).

Then again, I hate everything about the IC's existance in melee.

:c i play ice climbers

Anyway, Infinite Glacier was terrible, as was Flat Zone. I wasn't a huge fan of Rainbow Cruise either.

Ha, Drack is the guy on the neighborhood watch posters.

Ironically, that huge image is costing them way more bandwidth than the one I hotlinked would.

It was an alien face, but apparantly we've moved on from the clouds.