Liontamer

OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

But not easier to just click "forums" on the sidebar? :P

It's clear to me from our 404 logs that some people LOVE typing in URLs manually. Even much longer ones.

I can do this redirect; I've been thinking of doing some other redirects of this nature, for instances when folks forget a trailing slash, etc., so it's in keeping with that intention.

Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who types in long URLs. I even do it for boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=8 and other things. The trail of links is just too long.

Lot of people don't want to bookmark straight to the forums.

That said:

44502438li8.jpg

Was just noticing this about whenever you try to access any forum from any remix page - the dropdown menu always appears layered behind the last.fm player. Nothing big and nothing that bothers me, but I figured I'd post about it.

Looking fine in Firefox on mac. Doesn't look as good in Safari. Dunno how many Safari users there are that visit OCR so I don't know if it'd be worth it to fix it unless it can be done easily.

Here's how it looks to me.

Forgive me if it was mentioned already, I checked back a few pages to see if this was mentioned, but the safari pic was the only one I could find. This is actually how it looks for me in Firefox 3 RC1 (I know it's not a final version, but if a final version of a browser is doing it too, it may still happen in Firefox 3 post-release).

Lot of people don't want to bookmark straight to the forums.

And yet are trying (and complaining about) typing the URL in directly.

I'm just gonna call retardation on this one.

I mean really, people are free to make their life harder for whatever reason, but they have no right to complain about it later.

Since almost nobody in the world deliberately codes for compatibility with Opera, I'll bet this is simply an Opera problem, but just for giggles. Here's The OCR homepage in Opera:

OCROpera.jpg

And here it is in Firefox:

OCRFirefox.jpg

Which one's right?

I just wanted to point out a slight error when I clicked on the "Support Us" link from the About drop down menu at the top of the page. When I clicked, it sent me here: http://www.ocremix.org/info/Support

Which basically retrieved the following:

There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page.

Retrieved from "http://www.ocremix.org/info/Support"

Mines looks more like the first pic and I'm using Fire Fox.

It shouldn't. The white boxes should be filling up all the gray space.

I'm doing something on Anime Remix like this in the next release (goal is before June)... BUT...

The mouse-over popup menu thingy that you're using is currently 'under' the fm play <object> tag.

This is some code from AR that I used to fix this problem. It's real simple but it was a pain to find the solution online.

:sleepdepriv:

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

Oh, and of course you should add it to embed just for browser compatibility issues

<embed 
wmode="transparent"
/>

This will allow divs with the proper index the availability to appear over this kind of object.

The Youtube frames are driving me insane. Even when you've unchecked "automatically parse links" the forum insists on making these frames from youtube links.

Over at the TWcenter.net forums, which are also VBulletin based, there's a tag you can wrap around youtube links if you want to create frames from them, otherwise the link will remain a link. Having automatic youtube frames for all youtube links is like enforcing all image links to be displayed as images. I assume this issue is already being worked on (although I didn't look very hard to find any info on how far work has come), but if you need help, maybe you could ask the people at TWcenter or I could do it for you.

Since almost nobody in the world deliberately codes for compatibility with Opera, I'll bet this is simply an Opera problem, but just for giggles. Here's The OCR homepage in Opera:

OCROpera.jpg

Looks like this became a Firefox problem too. That's how the page looks in Firefox 3.0.

What are the complications of using 2 remixer names linked to one forum profile? Only reason I have two is because I'm studying 2 vastly different genres and I want to keep them separate....

All this is of course if I even get a remix accepted each with both names...

What are the complications of using 2 remixer names linked to one forum profile? Only reason I have two is because I'm studying 2 vastly different genres and I want to keep them separate....

You're only allowed to be listed is one artist. We're not going to give you multiple remixer entries just because you're trying out different genres. If that were the case, I'd have 4-5 names myself. :roll:

ReMixer pseudonyms are not allowed, nor are alt forum accounts.

If you wanted to keep the pieces easily identifiable, you could try to make their mix titles different or something like that, but part of the mission of this site includes genre agnosticism and encouraging listeners to experience all genres, not compartmentalize them...

The search term you specified (psf) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

icon_oneeye.gif

There are so many unique three letter filename extensions and terms on the boards (PSF, NDS, PSP, PSX, GBA, SPC, SP2, XML, RSS, the list goes on), I don't understand why this limit is in place.

I understand if you can't change it because of stubborn vBul stuff, but if you could, consider it.

OC ReMix albums have been better integrated into the site, and are now available as separate links on game, organization, and composer pages:

In addition, album pages have been revised to allow for extended references (we'll add VGMDB links when they finalize their URLs like they did for artists) and also composers are listed separately, with icons:

Unrelated to albums, composer detail pages now have a "Connections" block, where you can see some of the composers who've been credited with that composer on games, along with counts for games and mixes. More of a "fun" feature than serious data since we've only got games for which there are mixes, but still neat imo:

Upcoming changes will include upgrading the forums to vB 3.7 and (finally) revising ReMixer detail pages. For the latter, I plan to get feedback from (go figure!) ReMixers themselves.

So, nothing huge, but these little touches add up over time and hopefully are appreciated by some!

Looks good. I would disagree somewhat on some of the window orderings but it's nothing major.

Is it possible to extend the width of the last FM module? It's difficult to see the song titles and irritating to have to let each one scroll.

I guess this is a good place to bring it up: The dark gray space is overwhelming in the album page. Seriously, look at it. 1440x900 resolution, by the way. Any way of doing something about that? It's been bugging me on the main page as well, but this is a bit ridiculous here on the album page.

Otherwise, these changes sound good to me.

I guess this is a good place to bring it up: The dark gray space is overwhelming in the album page. Seriously, look at it. 1440x900 resolution, by the way. Any way of doing something about that? It's been bugging me on the main page as well, but this is a bit ridiculous here on the album page.

Otherwise, these changes sound good to me.

This is a difference between FF3 and FF2... I need to upgrade at least one of my machines to 3 and troubleshoot. If anyone knows offhand what attribute/css would make the boxes stretch even in FF3, let me know.

UPDATED: display:inline-block, which was added to fix certain pages in IE7, seems to be the culprit. I've upgraded to FF3 myself, removed this attribute, and pages are rendering as intended. Whether you appreciate "as intended" or not is a different story, but at least it's how it's supposed to be.

This change may also have fixed things for Safari users... don't know, can't tell, don't wanna install.

Tested with Safari, FF3, and Opera on Windows Vista x64 at 1920x1200, and the problem seems to be fixed.

Though there's still too much grey at the bottom, but it doesn't look like that can be fixed without some design changes. The grey space is worst on Opera on account of its default font, but I don't usually look that far down the page anyway.

Otherwise, lookin' good!

Edit: Decided to hit the site with a few more browsers.

Looks good enough in all IE versions between IE 5 and IE 8. You'd go crazy trying to get it to render exactly how you want it in each though, so I say it's good enough. Besides, I'm sure anybody still using IE 5 at this point is used to looking at broken pages.

In IE 4 it is hopelessly broken.

In IE 3 it is not too bad. It doesn't load the style sheet, so it's actually more usable in 3 than in 4.

Lynx is not great, but it's usable. Because there is no stylesheet support, the handy A to Z links appear down at the bottom of the page which isn't great, but the Community Discussion, Reviews, etc. all display well.

Obviously other Gecko-based browsers such as K-Meleon and Songbird display it well. Due to Songbird's lack of horizontal space though, you'll need a screen with at least 1200 pixels in width to display it without horizontal scrollbars.

As far as mobile devices go...

It looks great in the BlackBerry 4.6 OS browser.

On earlier BB browsers there seems to be an issue with the positioning of the 'Works-in-Progress' box, though I'm afraid I can't recommend anything to fix it. It's usable, at least, though it takes too long to load over EDGE with those 39 images.

Trying to test with Windows Mobile now. That's not going so well though...