Liontamer

OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

On the artist pages for remixers who have recently had a new remix posted, the number in parantheses after the green word "remixer" is consistently the same as the number of remixes that this mixer has on the site minus one. Is this number updated automatically but not often enough, or does it need to be done manually and no one has done it yet? Or did it use to be updated automatically and no longer is because something's broken?

http://www.ocremix.org/artist/4765/scaredsim

http://www.ocremix.org/artist/4729/oa

http://www.ocremix.org/artist/4751/another-soundscape

http://www.ocremix.org/artist/4482/darkesword

http://www.ocremix.org/artist/4685/sixto-sounds

http://www.ocremix.org/artist/4789/nekofrog

Edited by Dafydd

On every artist page, the number in parantheses after the green word "remixer" is consistently the same as the number of remixes that this mixer has on the site minus one.

Not sure about that, otherwise I'd have 0: http://www.ocremix.org/artist/4755/liontamer

When someone has a recently posted mix, the site takes a day or two to update that artist's stats to reflect the new mix. Since djp will read this, I'll note it hasn't updated artist stats to reflect the addition of the last 5 mixes.

Yeah, cause the last one to be updated correctly was posted on the 5th of April. That's a lot more than a day or two ago, more like 2 weeks.

I updated my post to better describe reality, but you were too fast.

DragonAvenger touched upon this issue in the review thread, but I'll say it here for good measure. This mix is faithfully labeled "Super Metroid MaridiaRemix" on the surface, but the tagged info only says "Metroid Maridia" (in the file and in Winamp).

The page linked to by Projects>albums in the sidebar is out of date and has some styling issues:

http://www.ocremix.org/info/Albums

To clarify, the styling issue I'm referring to here is the huge white space between the first and second album.

Yeah, fugly. Page probably shouldn't even exist, given the albums database has much the same info. I'll work on this.

Masahiro Andoh is not listed as a composer for Gran Turismo 3. Daiki Kasho should also be listed there, though he has no OCR page yet, it would seem. Soundtrack on VGMdb is here for your confirmation needs.

Funny you should mention this, as I saw your post AFTER I just ran a large composer association update that covered this and a LOT of other stuff, including soundtemp for ragnarok online, etc.

I'm liking the new posted ReMixes format on the front page, it's very clean in comparison. Nice job.

That said, I wonder if there's another location for the advertisement, as it breaks up things a little too much being right in between the lastest ReMixes and all the forum information. I say this mostly because of the "Previously on OverClocked ReMix" section. It seems out of place, but I'm sure it should be there.

Edited by Abadoss

IIRC, user homepages used to be accessible by clicking a little house icon below the location info area, just like the ICQ, MSN, etc. info. This isn't the case anymore, can't remember when this changed but it must have been a long time ago. Was the change intentional?

Whoa! The new setup for the forums really disoriented me. It's not bad, just unexpected. I don't see any problem with it so far, but I think I would have liked some advanced notice that the boards were going to be moved around like that. Oh, well. Anyway, I'll let you know if I see anything awry.

Whoa! The new setup for the forums really disoriented me. It's not bad, just unexpected. I don't see any problem with it so far, but I think I would have liked some advanced notice that the boards were going to be moved around like that. Oh, well. Anyway, I'll let you know if I see anything awry.

Seriously. I hit refresh like 3 times. Ha.

IIRC, user homepages used to be accessible by clicking a little house icon below the location info area, just like the ICQ, MSN, etc. info. This isn't the case anymore, can't remember when this changed but it must have been a long time ago. Was the change intentional?

Dave iced it because he didn't like how it looked on the homepage, but I thought they were very good additions. If there was a way to bring those back in a way he can live with, I'd be completely in favor of it.

I think I would have liked some advanced notice that the boards were going to be moved around like that. Oh, well.

"Yes, sir, Mr. President!" :lol: For something this small, it wasn't necessary.

Projects forum should be moved back to the main index. That's my only complaint.

Thought about it before it was moved, but not feeling it. Honestly, that area is so specialized that the most important traffic comes from the people actually working on the projects. It doesn't quite need to be a first-level forum. The only thing missing by making it a subforum is knowing what the last post is from, but that wasn't a big enough deal IMO to keep it where it was.

Dave iced it because he didn't like how it looked on the homepage

What's not to like? The idea of quickly being able to check out some random user's homepage, or the little house icon?

What's not to like? The idea of quickly being able to check out some random user's homepage, or the little house icon?

The icons. Back then, there were 3 icons (homepage, email & forum profile), not 1. I loved 'em.

Posting this here as well...

I'm not sure I'll like this. With this many subforums it gets cluttered, and I'm not sure making Feedback: ReMixes a subforum is gonna give it any more attention than it got before.

Besides, won't there be confusion now between feedback: ReMixes and the Reviews forum?

Yeah, the latest wip posts are on the front page, which Darke was quick to point out, but not everyone go there regularly.

Also, this change looks terrible on my laptop. There's already a thick nav bar, the lists of subforums don't really make it any better.

(the links are screenshots, and offtopic isn't even there)

Yeah, the latest wip posts are on the front page, which Darke was quick to point out, but not everyone go there regularly.

Also, this change looks terrible on my laptop. There's already a thick nav bar, the lists of subforums don't really make it any better.

(the links are screenshots, and offtopic isn't even there)

When you post screenshots, I'm assuming something's broken. So when I just see the new design in place with nothing broken, I have no clue what the point of your screenshots are. :lol: IMO, it looks good.

The problem in this screenshot is having to scroll down just to see the new posts. There's a nav bar with logo and mascot and a search box, location info, followed by forum controls, more location info, five subforums, new thread button, more location info, and then comes the stickied threads. new posts are quite far down, making it necessary to scroll down each time I open either of the forums with multiple subforums.

In this screenshot it's more a matter of where the eyes are drawn, which is the large forums, not the subforums. The subforum lists blend into the forum descriptions. Requests, which have been moved up, will probably get a little more attention, Workshop and Site Issues probably less. Come to think of it, Workshop might get more than before, but the workshop subforums far less.

Translation to Judgish: The design is good but the arrangement needs work. The arrangement is cluttered, it'd work better if things were separated better. It seems like some of the lead forums are in the background while backing forums get the attention of the viewer. The header is a bit too long, taking up most of the window. The updated forum doesn't work well on small screens. It takes too long for the page to get to the threads. NO (refine/resub).

Larry's talking about one thing, Dafydd's talking about something else. Larry's talking about the homepage/email icons that would show up next to remixer names on the list of latest mixes on the homepage. Dafydd I believe is talking about the homepage icon on each user's post header in the forums, if they have one. The former is definitely not coming back, the latter I'm still considering but leaning towards.

When you post screenshots, I'm assuming something's broken. So when I just see the new design in place with nothing broken, I have no clue what the point of your screenshots are. :lol: IMO, it looks good.

It looks good to me as well but we can still consider moving things around a bit more today.

Translation to Judgish: The design is good but the arrangement needs work. The arrangement is cluttered, it'd work better if things were separated better. It seems like some of the lead forums are in the background while backing forums get the attention of the viewer. The header is a bit too long, taking up most of the window. The updated forum doesn't work well on small screens. It takes too long for the page to get to the threads. NO (refine/resub).

Hey Rozovian. Pretending to be a judge and "translating" your criticism isn't funny or clever. It's being a dick. Stop being a dick.

I've noticed that a few forums have gotten more attention than before with this new layout (like 'REQUESTS' and 'REMIXING' - the activity has certainly increased significantly since the change). That's good news, for sure...

However, although I cannot say for sure, I suspect that the good ol' WIP forum may not get as much attention due to the lack of it being in the forefront of the forums page. I guess time will tell; that would be my main complaint about the new setup, It could lead to fewer people in WIP.

Ah well, we gain some and lose some - I believe the benefits outweigh the problems, in this case.

First, a belated thanks for fixing the "view all" links next to "Latest ReMixes" on the Organization pages. Now it appears those same links in the "Games" subsection are missing the slash mark / between the company and "games" (e.g. capcomgames should be capcom/games like in the tab up top).