OCR01588 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Breaking the Ice"

djpretzel

Personally, I don't think a lot of the Ice Cap remixes here really preserve the spirit of the original that I love so much (which seems like a pretty hard thing to do). Fortunately, that's not the case with this one. The original is pretty well-defined in this remix, yet does something new with it... And I like it. This remix and big giant circles' Eastern Ice Field are definitely my favorite Ice Cap remixes.

I don't mind the arrangement itself, and the synths are wonderful, but I really think the string and piano samples are terrible. Both sound very fake and for most of the song they just clutter it. I guess I wouldn't notice it if it didn't sound like they were doing the same thing over and over. Blah.

The string's presence isn't necessary most of the time they are playing, and something beside the piano would have fit better. A keyboard maybe?

I dig this; I'm really lovin' that industrial sound. Sorta reminds me of a few of those Ayla tracks that were poppin' up back when I was in high school, though this is much heavier than those things ever got. Some of the synth sounded fuzzy, but I didn't mind it much. Could just be my speakers, they're gettin' older. Love the source, and this track is a good, solid tribute to it.

I know there are a lot of Ice Cap remixes out there yet I don't really mind it though. There are lots of mega man 2 remixes and Mario ones floating around the net too. I think what matters is that you put your own style to it and really do something new with it.

In the case of this mix, I believe that it was accomplished very well!

It's got a nice peaceful orchestral ambiance. To contrast, it's got some phat glitch electronica beats.

The synth basses and leads fit well and the solos are a welcomed addition to a popular theme.

I probably have listened to other things you've done but I forgot about them so I need to check them out again :). Continue to make mixes, the style reminds me a little bit of Zircon, and that's a good thing.

Nicely done.

I love the epic feel to it, and I especially love the synthesizer at 2:30

The "jungle"-y drum sounds are fantastic (noticeable at 1:00). Isn't that tune from the hidden palace zone or lava reef? If so, awesome combination.

I put this song and BGC's Eastern Ice Field on a 2-song repeating playlist and listened to them all day. They never get old.

</worship>

While it is true that Ice Cap is a fairly popular track, I like what DigiE did with it here arrangementwise.

However, I really dislike the synth coming in at 0:46. It's too high and too loud in my opinion. The other synth is pretty annoying as well, particulary in the breakdown around 2:30. The piano sounds pretty average in some places, but gets the job done surprisingly well, especially in the end.

In conlusion, nice arrangement, but the choice of instruments/synths isn't my cup of coffee.

• 7 months later...

I'm going to have to agree with superjoe - there's an epic feel here that the original didn't quite convey. The fact that a remix can is quite impressive. I've never actually been one to listen to the Ice Cap themes, because for whatever reason, most of them rubbed me the wrong way.

Not so this one. Sure, flogging the dead horse, as DJP said, but it's a good flogging. I really can't think of anything else to say at this point, save that it'll be going into my Top Rated playlist.

• 1 month later...

I thought i'd listen to this one since I just heard a pretty 'meh' icecap remix and thought it'd be interesting to compare the two. I gotta say that this one completely slays the other one in just about every area. Production, synths, percussion, etc. It's all here.

The get-up section tied in well, and made a clean breakdown to the original with some improv synthage. Texturally, it's great, and the percussion is slammin. I wish there was a stronger and more memorable ending, but i'll take it as is no problem.

Good stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I wouldn't class myself as a Sonic music diehard (Mario was more my bag) but mixes like this make me jealous of people with Sonic nostalgia. Stuff like this can be and has been attempted with Mario material, but it will never sound as fitting and thus as good as this.

People get divided over synths. Whether they are good or bad synths is irrelevant, people will always either love them or despise them. I'm in the love camp. What happens past 2:30 causes this mix to skyrocket. WIN!

• 1 year later...

:-oYa know what....the more and more Ice Capped remixes that come out the more burnt on the track i get....I personally love the origonal Ice Capped revision...the VERY FIRST one ever made....all the new ones that keep comming out make me wonder....are we obsessed with sonic 3 music? YES WE ARE! :-o

8 out of 10 for this one :P

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
:-D I like the original source material of this song, so almost any song made from it I like as well. This one is really fun and upbeat, but it doesn't lose that lonely feel that the source has. I like how the pace slows down half way through the song, and then I am agreed with those else who have posted. That solo is reallly cool. :mrgreen:

• 9 months later...

Ice Cap has such a great melody that it's hard to not enjoy any ReMix made from it. The breakdown was interesting compared to what came before it, and both the synth and percussion of this ReMix makes it awesome. It has a great beat and the flow of arraignment was nicely done. On my recommended list for sure.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01588 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Breaking the Ice"