Liontamer

ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

I think you could get by with just the theory of beginning theory, without actually getting into theory itself! There's a lot of people who just do it by ear! I've theoretically made music but who can really say... it's all subjective anyway.

Turning this into the "Thank" instead of "Ask" thread for one post, THANKS for posting Killer Studio Chops and linking it to Tim Follin on his brand new twitter! That was awesome! I don't know if him joining twitter inspired it or you just happened to come across him on twitter in the process but either way, that was sweet. I am glad he liked it :-)

Just wondering because of the length of time, would you allow a remixer to swap out a very old submitted song, and replace it with a different song they could sub in its place, and just drop the old song. You know why I'm asking :lol:

Just wondering because of the length of time, would you allow a remixer to swap out a very old submitted song, and replace it with a different song they could sub in its place, and just drop the old song. You know why I'm asking :lol:

I think this got covered in one of the OCR Talkback episodes. The short answer is no, if the song has already been posted. If it hasn't yet been posted, I'm not sure--I think we've had retractions before, but I can't remember how that went. I'll let someone else give a longer answer if they really feel like it.

Flex, he's talking about swapping a song in the inbox. I'll allow a one-time instance, sure. Submit it, Brandon, make note of the issue and I'll check it out.

Flex, he's talking about swapping a song in the inbox. I'll allow a one-time instance, sure. Submit it, Brandon, make note of the issue and I'll check it out.

Ah, sweet. Thank you. Honestly, the song there might have a chance, but it's a joke song that I subbed during a music drought in spring. I'm finishing one up and I'll shoot that in when it's done, but if for giggles you wanted to peek at the other one when I send in the email to replace it, and say that it definitely did not have a chance, that would be awesome. Thank you! :-)

Edited by Brandon Strader

Hey Larry, just letting you know that I sent in the email! The subject line is "Replacement + announcement"

If there's more information needed or I forgot to share, let me know, and I'll be glad to. And thank you for the opportunity to do this. :-) The other mix might have been fine staying in, but honestly, it is so small that you could make a snap judgement on it. If you think I should toss it and it shouldn't be judged I'm cool with that.

It definitely did not have a chance!:-P

Thanks Mr. Cat, you know, a lot of time you can't count on ppl to be honest bc they don't want to hurt ur feelings or whatever. But u r not ppl and I appreciate ur honesty :-)

Just making sure. Today I saw this: 2013/04 - Lufia 2 'Step to the Journey'

In the judging queue. It is supposed to be on the album of Lufia II: Of god and mens.

Do album mix appear on the list in the judging process? or is it an error?

Just asking.

Do album mix appear on the list in the judging process? or is it an error?

No, not an error. Remixers are welcome to submit their mixes for projects just as normal submissions. If you look at the front page now, you'll see a couple songs from previously released projects that were submitted this way. The standards for individual mixes are higher than for what can be on a project, so it's not guaranteed to pass, but if it does it means it will show up on the front page ultimately.

Howdy y'all.. so I'm pretty sure I asked this already, but I just want to be absolutely sure so I don't break any rules in the future.

Concerning posting about in-progress albums in Community. I was under the impression that a post could be made if it included a preview of songs from that album. It couldn't just be text about the album and what it will be, like an official project (which would go under the Projects subforum)

It's an album that is intended to be submitted and hopefully released through OC ReMix. But it most-likely won't be "pre-approved official" because there would be no point.

To not be so vague I'm referring to a solo album I'll be focusing on next year.

Rather than just do it all "in the dark" I'd like to post periodic updates about it, samples, previews, and yes -- some soon coming full song previews from it.

Just wanted to be absolutely sure what the policy is on this. I didn't forget from being told before, just wanted full clarification on this to not cause any problems.

If it makes any difference as for community involvement, there will be several other remixers involved. (think The Answer)

In regards to project mixes that are subbed to the panel... I subbed my mix from Temporal Duality, but right before the album release, Matt asked me to revise the mixing/mastering on it a tad (which I did), so now the album version of the track actually sounds a wee bit better than the version I submitted to the judges panel... any chance I can slip you the newer version? (or you guys can just listen to the one from the album)

Howdy y'all.. so I'm pretty sure I asked this already, but I just want to be absolutely sure so I don't break any rules in the future.

Concerning posting about in-progress albums in Community. I was under the impression that a post could be made if it included a preview of songs from that album. It couldn't just be text about the album and what it will be, like an official project (which would go under the Projects subforum)

It's an album that is intended to be submitted and hopefully released through OC ReMix. But it most-likely won't be "pre-approved official" because there would be no point.

To not be so vague I'm referring to a solo album I'll be focusing on next year.

Rather than just do it all "in the dark" I'd like to post periodic updates about it, samples, previews, and yes -- some soon coming full song previews from it.

Just wanted to be absolutely sure what the policy is on this. I didn't forget from being told before, just wanted full clarification on this to not cause any problems.

If it makes any difference as for community involvement, there will be several other remixers involved. (think The Answer)

Use the Workshop, not Community.

Community is for stuff that's finished and released, or finished and releasing very soon. It's not for periodic updates, samples, and previews.

In regards to project mixes that are subbed to the panel... I subbed my mix from Temporal Duality, but right before the album release, Matt asked me to revise the mixing/mastering on it a tad (which I did), so now the album version of the track actually sounds a wee bit better than the version I submitted to the judges panel... any chance I can slip you the newer version? (or you guys can just listen to the one from the album)

I've made a note of it; we'll evaluate the album mix when we get to it in the inbox.