Voice Actor Appreciation

sephfire

My friend thinks he's trying to sound like Phil Hartman (old Troy McClure) as Zap. Thoughts?

Yeah, Hartman was originally supposed to voice Zapp but that changed after he died. According to wikipedia...

Zapp Brannigan is voiced by Billy West, though he was originally intended to be voiced by Phil Hartman.[3] Hartman insisted on auditioning for the role, and "of course, just nailed it" according to creator Matt Groening. However, due to Hartman's death, West was given the role. On the Futurama DVD commentary, Groening reveals that Zapp's character and mannerisms were established in Billy West's original audition for the character, and any similarity to Phil Hartman or his other well known cartoon characters (Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure), is simply coincidence. On the other hand, in an interview for the web site TV Squad, Billy West states that his Zapp Brannigan is an imitation of Hartman and also "modeled after a couple of big dumb announcers I knew".

Let me also put Dee Bradley Baker out there. There are a lot of great voice actors with amazing range, but this man is in his own league. But even he is overshadowed by the great ...

Frank Welker

This is the "Busiest Man in Voice Acting," possibly the most prolific who ever lived. He started in 1969 and he's still working today. He's especially masterful with animal noises (example: Abu from Aladdin). Just check out his imdb, seriously.

Frank Welker

This is the "Busiest Man in Voice Acting," possibly the most prolific who ever lived. He started in 1969 and he's still working today. He's especially masterful with animal noises (example: Abu from Aladdin). Just check out his imdb, seriously.

Kind of hard to appreciate the man when all he does are animal sounds. Seriously, he's in everything but he's making the animal noises. I'm not saying that he's not talented and doesn't deserve praise, but it's hard to get attached to the guy who voiced some animal that didn't speak, versus a memorable character with a unique voice.

Edit: I forgot. He actually voiced Nibbler when he spoke. But I think that the only speaking role of his I know.

I have no idea what's the magic behind voice acting. Maybe its breathing life into these cartoon characters. And compared to real acting its somehow more off-the-top and plain awesome.

Personally, I think part of it has to do with the idea that someone can very easily portray someone or something that is totally unlike them. Far more than in-person acting would allow. This is especially true when they voice multiple characters. Just looking at the Billy West video surprised me. I knew what he looked like, but to hear him actually speak as characters who are much older and younger still started me. You really have to act on the fly, since sometimes two of your characters may converse with one another.

I'd also like to point to two videogames which really serve to bring legitimacy to voice acting in games. One is Toonstruck, a little-known adventure game gem, which also happened to be my first adventure game. This was released in the mid-90s, so all the cartoon shows I loved were in full swing. It was great to realize all the voice actors I knew and loved (plus Christopher Lloyd) were right here in this game. I am befuddled as to why it did so poorly. It was also amusing, later on, to hear Futurama's Mom, as Tress MacNeille used that exact same voice several years earlier in Toonstruck.

Another is Kingdom Hearts. It's great that they got so much of the original living Disney cast to return. Part of it is the sad and strange fact that voicing characters in hugely successful movies don't seem to elevate the careers of the actors, but the other part just shows how committed they are to their roles.

For animation, Greg Ayres. Gotta hand it to the raspy voice.

For games, definitely Roy Conrad. Probably my favorite voice actor of all time, who unfortunately lost a battle with lung cancer back in 2002. Rest in peace, ol' chap. Your presence is sorely missed. :-(

[edit] For the record, RC was not a smoker, which makes his death just that much more tragic.

Two pages, and no mention of Tony Jay? For shame.

Agreed. Truly a great voice actor. His voice was just so distinctive. I'd put his performance of parts like Megabyte up there with James Earl Jones Darth Vader as being integral to my childhood as well as absolutely amazing. I was truly sad when Tony passed away.

Pez, here's something to appreciate: the fact that although no one hires the older voice actors anymore, and Welker must be pushing 100 right now, he's STILL picked to do animals. You'd think someone else out there would be able to by now. Anyway, he's done plenty of speaking roles back in the day. I don't even have to look at imdb... off the top of my head: Freddy (Scooby-Doo), Wild Bill, Shortfuse, Torch (G.I. Joe), Megatron, Soundwave, Mixmaster, Rumble, Frenzy, Skywarp, Ravage, Mirage (Transformers*), Marvin, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Toyman (Superfriends), Gogo Dodo (Tiny Toons), Glove, Mechanic, Chopper (Bionic Six), etc. etc. etc.

Besides those mentioned, also off the top of my head...

I'm quite old-school, so props to the back-in-the-day legends, who had plenty of work in radio and knew how to enunciate a line perfectly: Mel Blanc (of course), June Foray, Olan Soule (first animated Batman), Alan Reed (original Fred Flintstone), Don Messick (Scooby-Doo, Dr. Quest, Dr. Zin, bunches of others), Stan Freberg (Pete "Eeeeeeehhh" Puma), Daws Butler (Yogi Bear and 90 percent of early Hanna-Barbera), Casey Kasem (Robin, Shaggy, Alexander Cabot III, Cliffjumper)...

Also to the Saturday morning legends: Peter Cullen (OPTIMUS PRIME!!!!, Ironhide, Eeyore, Meps, Admiral Grimitz, original Monterey Jack, Officer Muldoon AND Officer Kirby), Rob Paulsen (Raphael, Gusto Gummi, Pinky, Yakko Warner, Mighty Max, etc.), Paul Winchell (Zummi Gummi, Dick Dastardly, Gargamel, original Tigger), Chris Latta (Starscream, Sparkplug, Gung Ho, Wheeljack, Darkstorm, Cobra Commander)...

Special props to James Avery, 'cause, let's face it, the Shredder's voice was endless entertainment, even more so when you found out he played Fresh Prince's Uncle Phil.

*TRANSFORMERS MENTION ALERT!! (been a long time since I used this)

anim-prime.gif

That's the thing with western voice talent... unless you research and seek them out, most of the time we don't hear too much about the guys behind the scenes at all, you know?

Like, if you'd said, "Tony Jay, who did Megabyte off Reboot," I would have cried out in agreement.

Who was the guy who did Whinnie the Pooh AND Dr. Robotnik? That guy was awesome.

Like, if you'd said, "Tony Jay, who did Megabyte off Reboot," I would have cried out in agreement.

I think the audience would grow by a lot more if you added, "Tony Jay, who voiced the The Elder God in the Legacy of Kain series, Virgil the Lemurian in 'Mighty Max', and won an award for Judge Claude Frollo in 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'".

He's done a lot more voice work as well.

I think the audience would grow by a lot more if you added, "Tony Jay, who voiced the The Elder God in the Legacy of Kain series, Virgil the Lemurian in 'Mighty Max', and won an award for Judge Claude Frollo in 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'".

He's done a lot more voice work as well.

He's done more than just voice work too.

Jun Fukuyama

I like his voice in various stuff, especially as Lelouch/Zero in Code Geass

Cam Clarke

The dude's been around FOREVER. But since I grew up with TMNT, I can almost always spot his voice in whatever he does, unless he's completely warped his voice. Also old Akira. Also Kratos... And... Simba???

Rob Paulsen

Go to his imdb page and your finger gets sore from middle mouse scrolling. Also another TMNT dude that I always seem to notice in shit.

Mark Hamill

Goes without saying, he's been mentioned in this thread already, right? Well I'm gonna mention him one more time. Heee

Many good mentions. VERY talented folks recognized...

...but 5 pages and no Tress MacNeille? Five pages and no Kath Soucie? No Nancy Cartwright specification? No Joe Alaskey (who did Plucky Duck, Yosemite Sam for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", and Richard Nixon for "Forrest Gump")? Only one Mel Blanc mention? No Maurice LeMarche?

NO DON LAFONTAINE?

Big shouts go out to Quinton Flynn, David Hayter and John DiMaggio. Some of the more recognised names in VG VOs. Though Dwight Schultz (Howlin' Mad Murdoch from the A-Team) done well as O'Aka XXIII inFinal Fantasy 10 as well.

I'm not particularly big into knowing who does VOs in cartoons and stuff, but I still find it funny that Seth Green (the guy that made Robot Chicken) does voicework in Family Guy, and they referenced it in Blue Harvest.

Wish granted...in 22 days.

Yeah, I looked it up after I was reminded of it here. New movie, right?

I must say, Billy Bob Thornton's Voice for the monk in Princess Mononoke was a perfect fit.

First time I'd heard of the guy. It was awesome. I love that Studio Ghibli gets famous actors who don't even usually do voicework.