OCR00376 - Chrono Trigger "Magus (Decay of Hope)"

Saunders

Chrono Trigger 'Magus (Decay of Hope)'

Now, as you may know, I’m not particularly fond of CotMM’s chosen style, and that’s no exception here, I’ll be honest. But the noise/static seems to be at a minimum so it’s not that bad here. Around 3:00 it begins a fade into the area of the mix that I most enjoy, less static and noise (it actually fully rears it’s head at ~4:20). I don’t care for the strange background sound at first, but by 5:00 it’s into my most liked area. By 5:30 the tune is on it’s way out. Not something I’m fond of, and isn't normally in my playlist, but a well done tune all the same. 2/5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you don't mind something a little different, this one is excellent. Starts off with a steady static beat, and a voice sample from the movie "Pitch Black" where (if you haven't yet seen it) much like Magus, the bad guy becomes one of the good guys, if only because they all have a similair goal in mind. Now as I said at first, you have to have an open mind for stuff thats a little different. CotMM's industrial style is not for those with sensitive ears. The static gives this a feeling of the dark character that its about, in my opinion. Great work, CotMM.

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about setting the mood. This mix does it in spades right from the start. The static, the vocals, the background noises, the incorporation of the original track - it all rolls into one magnificently dark, sinister, and surreal mix that couldn't possibly be any truer to Magus' character if it tried.

This mix obviously isn't for the lightweight listener, but for those looking for songs outside the norm, it should be a guaranteed hit. It's currently my favorite mix on the entire site, and I've been downloading and listening steadily to the mixes on Overclocked since Nov. 2001.

Congratulations CotMM on another superb mix.

This song is definitely a favorite of mine. What's really nice is the fact that throughout the track, although there is a lot of static and noise, you can still detect the faint melody of Magus's music - when it isn't in the forefront. It rules. Also, wasn't this done by COTMM and Injury (another remixer)?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first time I listened to this piece it threw me for a spin. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. But as I listened to it today all of these images came to mind of what Magus would be like in real life. I pictured a camera scrolling around and into a dark castle and then focusing in on a dark figure that eventually revealed his face. The song has an acquired taste and if you don't give it at least 2 or 3 listens through you'll be missing out. The song is full of imagery. I recommend it.

• 2 months later...

I've heard several pieces from Children of the Monkey Machine and this is definitely the most interesting I've heard. Features voice clips from the only Vinny D movie I've ever liked (Pitch Black). It's perfect. I like the echoing effect of them. And even though I'm not a big fan of the blaring sound and distortion of industrial, this song would definitely convince me to rethink.

I love it. And Injury helped? Hmmm...gonna have to look them up, because the collaborative effort on this song is what obviously makes it a great.

This song kicks ass, Magus style!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Ah yes, Decay of Hope...

One of the first tracks I listened to on this site. I was expecting "Magus' Theme", but instead found this interesting piece of work. I think it's what the exiled Zealite's theme would sound like if Chrono Trigger was "modernized" like FFVII. Not what I was expecting, but definately a great piece.

Oh COTMM, I know not what a Monkey Machine is, or how it can have children, but whatever it is, it must make fine music.

By the way, I have no idea what the voice says the second time it speaks? Anyone know?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love this song. Especially the beginning with the voices. It's so dark and spooky.

As for what they say, this is what the voices are:

"All you people are so scared of me."

"It ain't me you need to worry about now."

"You're not afraid of the dark, are you?"

"Are you?"

I love it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm currently addicted to this song.. I usually go for much smoother orchestral pieces and I'm not generally appreciative of remixes in the industrial genre (encompassing most of COTMM's other work) but this is just great.. excellent use of the P.B. samples, the thickness/distortion just.. works for this piece. I enjoy the first half much more with the dark feel to it.. the solid start is intruiging and the pulsing rythym of the main theme brought in at 0:32 gets Magus's party started. The introduction of the new synth at 4:27 isn't the most pleasant sound but it works for the mix overall and gives it the energy it needs to bring it home. The mix overall is innovative and creates a dark mood with unique feel, nice work.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another magus remix from CotMM eh?

I didn´t imagine Magus like this, sounds way to creepy and old, like if he have put both funnygas and a chickenbone in his throat at the same time.

This remix is filled with many different kinds of synths and beats, included Magus himself, but all those sounds was to much for me I guess, but could hear that it was the magusbattle, and if your still not convinced, wait til´ you reach 4:43 where the real melody comes in, clearly my favorite part with both the original and this remix.

Interesting work, Monkeydudes.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00376 - Chrono Trigger "Magus (Decay of Hope)"