Enemies/moments that scare the **** out of you!

Salluz

Share with everyone your moments of fright. Describe the thrill of chills when you step toward that scary enemy.

-------

Ok, I had done the wrong thing to smoke a blunt and play

in Max Payne. The sensitivity of your perception, sensory, and depth can be heightened when you're stoned, so to me, it was extra, extra scary. That, plus, in the same game, when they drugged Max Payne with Valkyrie, I got paranoid and wondered if someone laced my stuff with that awful mess. :lol: That was a beerdude moment, not a weeddude moment.

The

in Rayman 2. EEK! (if the time doesn't go to the right part, go to 9:25)

Laugh, but

while playing in the dark made me nervous (skip to :51 if it doesn't link there automatically). Edited by Salluz

People will probably laugh at me, but my first playthrough of Metroid Prime scared the hell out of me. Not in a jump scare way, but a blanket of creeping dread. Combination of music, sound, great atmosphere, and playing it in the dark. The pirate lab mainly got to me, especially after the power went out.

Minecraft used to always scare me. That's the most recent one, probably.

Silent Hill 2 when I played back in 5th grade. Man what a bad idea. (edit: does anybody remember that mannequin that turned on you once you got the flash light? That freaked me out so bad)

Also, drowning in the Sonic the Hedgehog has the be the scariest freaking thing ever.

People will probably laugh at me, but my first playthrough of Metroid Prime scared the hell out of me. Not in a jump scare way, but a blanket of creeping dread. Combination of music, sound, great atmosphere, and playing it in the dark. The pirate lab mainly got to me, especially after the power went out.

Nope, that's completely understandable. Pirate lab is flippin' scary. I almost had a heart attack when I got attacked by a shadow pirate once.

I think it's the fact that the pirate battle theme has a long intro that isn't as intense as it is unnerving, so you don't except to run into an enemy at all, but then BAM you get sliced by a pirate.

Edited by urdailywater

Also, drowning in the Sonic the Hedgehog has the be the scariest freaking thing ever.

When I was very young the 'first' time I went into Sandopolis Zone Act 2... It got dark, I didn't know about the light switches. I died... I died very quickly.

I turned off the console, walked away, and didn't dare touch the controller for at least a week. I was terrified by what had happened.

When I eventually dared come back I found the light switches and I remember having such a rush, desperate to ensure that it NEVER got REMOTELY dark. Ever.

Of course after a few playthroughs I know how to do it, where the switches are and not to panic, but that first time... urghhh...

Phew. Glad I'm not the only one.

And yeah, the first time I played Sonic and that drowning jingle came in, I had no clue what was going on and threw my head under a pillow. Mario never drowned in the early games, so it didn't make sense that Sonic would. Just the random change from a happy Labyrinth Zone song to music that sounded like 8-bit Jaws and made you feel that some random shark was going to come and bite Sonic's head off was just horrifying.

AvP Facehuggers.

If you think that's a good shock moment, just imagine not seeing the blinking motion detector, having NO CLUE they're in the room and suddenly having... that... pop on your screen out of nowhere. I can't beat this game. Ever.

At least, not without the unpleasant feeling of shit in my pants.

Edited by Gario

When I was a wee Callas taking his first steps, and his first steps as a gamer, I had some edu-tainment program on the family computer. One of the games in it was an alphabet game where a train pulled flatbed cars with letters on them, instead of, say, boxcars with hobos in them. As the train rolled along, it merrily sang the ABC tune, but some of the flatbed cars were empty, and you were supposed to type the missing letter. But if you got the letter wrong or you typed when you weren't supposed to, it unleashed a low, dark klaxon of frothing anger.

After the first mistake in every game (and sometimes before, in anticipation of one) I'd run frantically into the laundry room and try to block out the horrible horn underneath the nearest pile of dirty or clean laundry. Of course, with nobody left to type even some of the remaining letters, the once cheerful melody of my ABC's turned into a staccato of terrifying failures. My sobs lasted far, far longer than the last twenty-or-so letters.

I got so scared playing the Kislev Sewers level in Xenogears for the first time. It was 2 a.m., right after the game came out. Soooo freaky when that thing was watching at you and you had no idea what the hell it was. Then it attacks you and it wasn't so bad after all (and it's actually kind of sad when you get to the Orphanage and you find out the whole story about the thing).

Anyhow, kind of lame, but that's when I remember being the most scared by a game.

10 years old + Metroid Fusion + nighttime playing sessions.... that ATMOSPHERE.

Saw this thread and immediately thought of Fusion.

I played it at 15 and was completely unsettled whenever SA-X came around. It's one of the most tense gaming experiences I can remember.

i was gonna say, slender has jump scared the fucking pants off of each and every one of us who has played it. lets be real here. everyone, at least once.

the first time i opened "that" door, in the original resident evil. oh yea! you know what door i mean....

Just the nurses. Always the twitching nurses.

And generally any dog-like thing that runs and/or jumps at you.

i was gonna say, slender has jump scared the fucking pants off of each and every one of us who has played it. lets be real here. everyone, at least once.

I played Slender but I didn't have an investment in who I was supposed to be as someone randomly wandering through a repetitive forest collecting pointless notes. When I finally saw Slenderman he just stood there and I didn't particularly care. I kept walking and it just turned to static and made a loud noise and I was basically "What's the point of this?" I didn't enjoy or really see the point of it at all.

On the other hand, Amnesia was so scary I stopped playing it pretty early on.

Edited by Brandon Strader

The body weapon boss from Shinobi 3. The stage pretty much is him, just guts everywhere, he rises up from a sea of guts throughout the stage to attack you from the background, and when you finally get to him, he takes up a good portion of the screen.

Also, Robo-Corpse from Contra 3. Contra 3 has a lot of scary bosses, but Robo-Corpse takes the cake. A boss that literally rips through the background to make his entrance, and he's just a lifeless, robotic beast that thinks of nothing but death.

To Meteo Xavier - I always thought 7th Saga was creepy too. I've never played it. I just used to watch my older brother play and it just creeped me out.

10 years old + Metroid Fusion + nighttime playing sessions.... that ATMOSPHERE.

SA-X made things tense... but nothing beats the first time one encounters Nightmare face to horrifying face.

Also, I recently scraped some rust off my wallet to get the Batman Arkham games on PS3 - double pack of Asylum GotY and City for $20 at a Walmart in Cadillac, MI. Kickass deal. Anyway, the first time I faced Scarecrow and realized the Select button stopped working, I nearly lost my shit.

On the other hand, Amnesia was so scary I stopped playing it pretty early on.

It's strange that Slender got to me a lot worse than Amnesia did. Though I really enjoyed playing amnesia whereas slender was just torture. Especially that bathroom.

Did anyone else have a problem getting through that last Ecco game as much as I did? I don't think anything has ever scared the crap out of me as much as Ecco on Dreamcast. (Defender of the future was it?) Something about being trapped under water with a bunch of sharks that you couldn't see until they were on top of you. Coming out of that blue haze.

...must have been a fish in a former life.