Photo

OCR02401 - Mega Man X 'Tuck 'n Roll'

aggressive brass electric-guitar lyrics-original rock singing ska vocals-male extended-soloing tempo-fast

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 djpretzel

djpretzel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia, USA
  • Software - Preferred Plugins/Libraries:[Plugins]: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Trilian, Battery, Reaktor, Sylenth1, Zebra2, Hive, Alchemy [Libraries]: Spitfire Albion & BML Series, Heavyocity, Impact Soundworks

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

#2 42

Crash Bandicoot (+650)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 698 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in SC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

I had already fell in love with the Muffins when I first heard Ska Buffet, but after listening to this, I suppose you can say that I'm

( •_•)
...( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

ska'd for life now.

This is seriously an amazing song and definitely one of my favorites off of Maverick Rising.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Mirby

Mirby

Audio Engineering Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,569 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

I had already fell in love with the Muffins when I first heard Ska Buffet, but after listening to this, I suppose you can say that I'm

( •_•)
...( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

ska'd for life now.

This is seriously an amazing song and definitely one of my favorites off of Maverick Rising.

I don't think anything else needs to be said after this. :tomatoface:

Posted ImagePosted Image
<+overcoat> I am totally a weaboo fangirl | Share & Enjoy now available! Click above! | <jeffball> my balls are everywhere

#4 Flexstyle

Flexstyle

Judge, Double the Trouble! Producer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

I maintain with a passion that ska should never have died the death it did back in the early '00s. Thanks to this song, I'm sure the genre still has some life left in it--I love it!

#5 Palpable

Palpable

Judge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

I really wish the playing was a little tighter cause I feel like everything else is clicking. Great writing, and pretty much nailed the 90's ska vocal. Good stuff guys.

#6 SuperiorX

SuperiorX

Temporal Duality Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Yeah awesome stuff here! I love the live brass!

#7 BONKERS

BONKERS

Mudkip (+150)

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWinchester, OR

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

I remember the first time I heard this. My reaction was "HOLY SHIT!".

Because it just sounded so cool.

True, final mix is overcompressed with some ducking and whatnot. Loudness isn't an issue for me.

But it's a great song.
Whether the listener likes vocals or not.
Posted ImagePSYMAN

#8 Crulex

Crulex

Strider Hiryu (+2100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,157 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

First came one of my top three OCR tunes from last year in Ska Buffet, and now the OCR Plaid Muffins land another hit with this track, which I gotta say, is a pretty cool take on one of my favorite MMX tunes. I'm pleased with how well the source tune lends itself to this style. The lyrics are pretty catchy, especially the last paragraph, and it was really nailed here. Love the slow down and the sound of the instruments overall. I'll be playing this over and over for a long time now and I can't wait to hear more hot tunes from the Muffins in the future.

06_hisakoultra.jpg

#9 Torzelan

Torzelan

Mudkip (+150)

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationN. Sweden

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Definitely one of my absolute favorites on the album despite not being a genre I really ever listen to, love the lyrics and vocal performances too. Singing it (especially the calm part) to myself all the time :)

#10 KyleJCrb

KyleJCrb

Shell Shocked Director, Around the World Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,978 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

VOCAL HAET!

I heard this one throughout its production, and I can vouch that everyone worked their asses off on it. Also, PrototypeRaptor is a much better singer than he gives himself credit for. Killer stuff!

Nitro Game Injection, Sundays 6PM ET & GameFuel: Listen on Arecibo Radio | Website | OCR Thread
Projects: VROOM! | TMNT IV: Shell Shocked | KNGI Project Forums | KNGI Records

#11 Draconiator

Draconiator

Bad Dude (+400)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationFort Kent, ME

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Was the inclusion of the Peter Gunn theme intentional?

Posted Image

#12 Emunator

Emunator

Judge, Double the Trouble! Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,455 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

I personally love this intolerable piece of noise ;-) Keep it up guys!

0kqkzeB.png

· OCR Staff · Judge · Double the Trouble! Director ·

Soundcloud · OCR Artist Profile

#13 BlackPhantom

BlackPhantom

Bad Dude (+400)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

This wasn't something that appealed to me at first. The instruments sound kind of messy to me. After a few listens though, it grew on me, and is now probably my favorite of Maverick Rising.

#14 psychowolf

psychowolf

Crash Bandicoot (+650)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

I loved ska buffet and as soon as i saw the name on the trailer i got really cyked for this song.
When i first heard i was first disappointed it wasn't LuIzA on vocals again (personally prefer female vocals) but then got over that quick with how great the song turned out anyway.

Good work guys :D hope to see the plaid muffins return for more songs.

#15 Wardonis

Wardonis

Slime (+5)

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Ska was the wrong direction for this song, fast hardcore rock that doesn't go so far as to be metal punk or screamo is how it should of gone.

#16 Korps de Krieg

Korps de Krieg

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

This song pretty much blew my mind the first time I gave it a listen through. Somewhere approaching the triple digits on playthroughs, it hasn't changed in my esteem.

The instrumental play could be a little cleaner, but for how awesome a job these guys did and how much energy went into their performance, I can hardly complain. They took an ultra-repetitive track from my childhood, strapped it with brass and aggressive guitar and blew me out of the water with it.

I definitely dug the approach taken with the vocal line, making Armored Armadillo sound bitter and resentful, but ultimately accepting of his lot in life. It added a lot of character to what was before just a boss fight and a shiny new gun. I'll admit, without the lyrics in front of me some spots were a little hard to understand (and were before with Ska Buffet, but not important), but the overall feel and execution was spot on.

This was a piece with awesome pacing, high energy even in the mellow sections, and mind numbingly nostalgic to mine ears. Besides my few little hangups, I have nothing but praise for this extremely well done arrangement.

Stay classy Plaid Muffins.

#17 Level 99

Level 99

Lucid Dreaming Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

On behalf of the Muffins, I want to thank everyone for their comments and feedback! We will indeed be staying classy.

Was the inclusion of the Peter Gunn theme intentional?

If you listen to the source, its not the Peter Gunn theme, but rather the way the riff works within the original track. I can understand you hearing a similarity though.

Ska was the wrong direction for this song, fast hardcore rock that doesn't go so far as to be metal punk or screamo is how it should of gone.

wut? That wasn't even a sentence that I could understand. But if you have an aversion to ska, that's a personal problem. Us plaid muffins? We're ska, through and through 8-)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Yami

Yami

Ness (+600)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFulda, Germany

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

I'm not really a ska listener, but this was awesome.

MRtDyoh.png
忘れ去られし闇の戦士
When I started to heed to the advice, that I should listen to my favorite music with the ears of a producer, a lot of my favorites have been ruined for me.

#19 Bahamut

Bahamut

Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,859 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA, United States

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

The Plaid Muffins blew this one out of the water - the amount of effort poured into this track really shows through with how massive the song feels. The track ran into mixing issues, but it's hard not to when there's so much going on. The ska style fits this source like a glove here, and the vocals are a treat on top of it.

This is some great stuff!
Liontamer: AND THEY HAVE A PLAYPLACE

#20 Roadieface

Roadieface

Slime (+5)

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVienna, VA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

This song is fantastic! This is one of my favorite tracks from the game and they did a seamless job taking it to the next level. Love it guys!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aggressive, brass, electric-guitar, lyrics-original, rock, singing, ska, vocals-male, extended-soloing, tempo-fast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums