Photo

Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

• Please log in to reply
539 replies to this topic

#21 Mairuzu

Mairuzu

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

For processing sounds in time and things like that to get samples sounding completely differnt from the original a good program is Cecilia. Its for osx and windowse. The interface doesn't lok the best but it is a really good program. It uses Csound, try it out, you can even use copywrited samples and process them so far that they'd be legal to use.

http://www.csounds.com/cecilia/
"All existence you see before you must be wiped out : Dream, Reality, Memories, and Yourself"

#22 Souliarc

Souliarc

Yoshi (+1400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Kentucky, USA

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

Soundfonts/samples that are trying to be an instrument can never be one, only a representation.

First off, a soundfont is a format in which to load samples into a sampler. They're not in the same category.

Second, define instrument? Is an instrument not something used to play music? Regardless of whether it was sampled or not, it's how you use it that matters. When the sound fits, it becomes your own, regardless if it was a sound from Reason's Factory Soundbank.

I admit to using some samples myself, but thesedays if I do use any sounds which are available to more people than myself I try to process them so they sound very different. Especially with drumkits, thousands of people use the same kits, process all the sounds indivially until it doesn't sound like a kit, it sounds original.

If people want to use generic drums, let them. Not everything has to be Akira Yamaoka Silent Hill Industrial. Unscathed drums are a commonplace in music, just look at JJT's "Voices Broken". Those drums are from a very popular drum kit by Maestro, but they fit. Even look at the reviews, people mistook them as a real drummer, which reiterates my point on "it's how you use them". The AKAI MPC series was (and somewhat still is) very popular for drums, especially in rap music.

We don't all have the luxury of recording every instrument we use, due to either time or money. Sampling's popularity stems from that aspect and has allowed us instant access to instruments across the globe.
Posted Image
Click my sig for some free musicks =D
"If you want your dreams to come true, you mustn't oversleep."

#23 hazardous

hazardous

Pikachu (+5000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,289 posts
  • Locationffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

I will definitely be using this thread in the near future.

harzoudoussig8sj.jpg
                                                                       Signature by Rent

#24 Mairuzu

Mairuzu

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

(I am aware of the difference between soundfonts and samples, soundfonts are just organised, like a sampled instrument preset in a sampler)

All composers tend to have their own rules.
Some may use presets on synths and freely available samples, because maybe they want to sound like everyone else, or want real instrument sounds but don't have the instruments.
Some composers may want to do their own completely original thing so have their own original soundbank.

For people involved in Music Production/Composition as a profession originality is very important as record companys tend to chose a certain producer due to his sound, created by his palette of sounds. If a lot of people in the music industry may be using Kontakt/Sampltank samples having someone which their own soundbank can be good.

But for people who use samples I think you should tweak the samples/kits, even if a tiny bit like EQ, FX, maybe some dynamic FX on individual drums/samples.
"All existence you see before you must be wiped out : Dream, Reality, Memories, and Yourself"

#25 Souliarc

Souliarc

Yoshi (+1400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

(I am aware of the difference between soundfonts and samples, soundfonts are just organised, like a sampled instrument preset in a sampler)

All composers tend to have their own rules.
Some may use presets on synths and freely available samples, because maybe they want to sound like everyone else, or want real instrument sounds but don't have the instruments.
Some composers may want to do their own completely original thing so have their own original soundbank.

For people involved in Music Production/Composition as a profession originality is very important as record companys tend to chose a certain producer due to his sound, created by his palette of sounds. If a lot of people in the music industry may be using Kontakt/Sampltank samples having someone which their own soundbank can be good.

But for people who use samples I think you should tweak the samples/kits, even if a tiny bit like EQ, FX, maybe some dynamic FX on individual drums/samples.

I don't understand why you think samples can't be used for originality... Zircon uses pretty much nothing but samples and he has many original songs with an original sound. Keith Crouch (producer for Boyz II Men, Chaka Khan) and Mark Isham both use the Synthogy "Ivory" Grand Pianos plug-in because of how good it sounds. Mix Engineer Kent Hitchcock from Jurassic 5 uses Reason and Bomb Factory plug-ins. Josh Wink uses the AKAI MPC that I mentioned. Need more examples?

You might as well consider every orchestral piece to be unoriginal. They all basically use the same instruments (and therefore the same sounds). It doesn't just take unique sounds to be original but a unique composition.

It's fine if you don't want use samples, just don't say it isn't "professional" or "original" to use them.
Posted Image

#26 Mairuzu

Mairuzu

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

Yea loads of people use samples. Its just where they get them from and what they do with them. Using the same popular samples can make a lot of songs sound the same. For example the load of peope who use the same fruity loops sounds, is it not annoying?
I can't beleive such big producers would use Synthogy Ivory, but I guess for some pieces there wouldn't be a lot of difference than a real piano. Real instruments have expression. What are interesting though are modelling instruments, like electric piano/string instrument modellers, they have lots of paremeters to deal wth much more than the playback of a sample.

I guess samples are however you use them, but you have to be wary of how it sounds. I was listening to some of the Chono Symphonic stuff and I didn't really like it, there were some nice sounds but it lacks the realism and small inperfections of a real orchestra, although some tracks are better than others.

If you've heard a LOT of music where people are using the same samples hearting more of it gets kind of boring. Only tweaking samples slightly can make a lot of difference is all i'm saying.
And the originality is noticed by the listener, may sound more original to some rather than others.

But I don't want to start a massive discussion, just trying to give advice to people who use freely available/popular samples, TWEAK!

#27 Souliarc

Souliarc

Yoshi (+1400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

But I don't want to start a massive discussion, just trying to give advice to people who use freely available/popular samples, TWEAK!

Well, that's not good advice because it's subjective. You use the term "tweak" too lightly.

Gah... i'm done.
Posted Image

#28 analoq

analoq

Chrono (+3000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:29 AM

oh cool. this thread is for requesting and contributing samples.
nice work on shitting it up!

make a new thread next time you feel like dictating others on how to produce music.
cheers.
I browse with sigs disabled and have been ever since the vb switchover

#29 KyleJCrb

KyleJCrb

Shell Shocked Director, Around the World Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,978 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:44 AM

Using a soundfont of a piano is just a draft and can could possibly give performers and listeners an idea of what the piece would sound like, but it could never be taken seriously.

Then I suppose 99% of the songs on OCR aren't serious.

Nitro Game Injection, Sundays 6PM ET & GameFuel: Listen on Arecibo Radio | Website | OCR Thread
Projects: VROOM! | TMNT IV: Shell Shocked | KNGI Project Forums | KNGI Records

#30 OverCoat

OverCoat

Shovel Knight (+16000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,021 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:48 AM

more like Overdraft ReMix

#31 DXFreak

DXFreak

Slime (+5)

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLaziland

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:15 PM

A nice Japanese website featuring samples of vintage drum machines such as the Yamaha RX5 and the Korg DDM110 "Super Drums":

http://www.denhaku.com/r_box/r_box.htm

And about that using "generic samples (or sounds)" debate, I tend to understand Mairuzu's POV and tend to, myself, believe that using edited versions or original stuff like I tend to do it (on some on my songs, I even sampled my old SB16 FM chip and YMAmp) is way more interesting.

In the other hand, if someone manages to use his "generic presets or samples" brilliantly, I don't see any problem.
Sonic Art Archive - Dioxaz's music page
Posted Image
Please note that I'm usually known as Dioxaz.

#32 Zer0

Zer0

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:40 PM

I am looking for high quality choir samples. Something like in Star Wars - Duel of the fates theme. Also some simple vocals would be nice. I have heard about Symphony of Voices but is it good?

And I am ready to pay 500$ for them.

#33 MikeViper

MikeViper

Alex Kidd (+200)

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

Anyone know where I can find a good string ensemble sample? I can't seem to find one that sounds realistic enough.
Check out my original music on my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.c...un?feature=mhee

#34 lazygecko

lazygecko

Zelda (+10000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

After a long time of not even thinking about expanding my VST library, I browsed KVR and stumbled across LazySnake. This one is a real gem. Why load up a 128mb rhodes library when you have this?
Posted Image

#35 Iceferno

Iceferno

Goomba (+100)

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

This is a nice thread Zircon. Really useful and perfect for people like me who are perfectionists! :P

I wanna put some VG remixes on OCR soon, but I want to be sure that they're as good as I can make them!

#36 OverCoat

OverCoat

Shovel Knight (+16000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,021 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

LazySnake

I found a fun new epiano! thx

I made it all warbly and dark, and started copying a xerxes compotune :]

#37 RocketSniper

RocketSniper

Chrono (+3000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,125 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

This has been driving me nuts for the last few days - I just got one of BT's CDs, and this effect has been bugging me since I got it. I'm pretty sure it's a slowed down sample of him singing, put through a granulizer, but am unable to come up with a similar effect. Help?
Posted Image

#38 anosou

anosou

THE ANSWER Director, Kaleidoscope Composer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

I'm looking for anything ethnic for reason, mostly instruments and REX2 loops. Percussion samples isn't that hard to find.
Also, good places to get REX2 loops free?

AND Just wanted to tell you that doru malaia has another website from now, www.dorumalaia2.com be sure to visit :D

Posted Image

#39 KWarp

KWarp

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • LocationThe act or process of locating

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

The Correct “ping” and Incorrect “buzz” typical of Japanese gameshows. They are typically associated with O and X. I can not find these on Google or other search engines. Does anyone have them?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Chavous

Chavous

Mario (+1900)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Locationif i was up your @$s, you'd know where i was

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:35 AM

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

? I didnt search, but im sure you can find something.
Posted Image
^A quality crap sig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums