The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Greetings Mortals!

I'm Skull, your average keyboardist & composer with no particular talent.

My love for Video Game Music started quite randomly. I would fire up FL Studio 12 & recreating video game tracks more or less 100% identical to the original because this is totally considered a remix format.

And here I hopped on OCRemix with very little chance of me being noticed.

You can resume ignoring me now.

Hello!

My artist name is DJValefor/Valefor. My real name is Omar. I'm very quiet and usually shy. I have been a fan of ocremix for a long time. One of my favorite tracks was a piano version of the Jenova theme from Final Fantasy VII. I live in California and and just moved to new city with my family for work. My family is just me my spouse and our dogs and cat. I'm a perfectionist with MANY mistakes so I am always still learning and love going on a quest to find new and old music.

I hope to make some new friends and such! 

• 1 month later...

Wow, last entry/reply was roughly 13 years ago. Any who, I am new here, but I have been toying with ReMixing for some months now, just haven't found my niche. My last project was a dark metal/edm fusion of a track from Mario kart Wii, which sadly went "Nuclear Fission" on me. Back to the drawing board, as they say

• 1 month later...

Well, better now or never. 

Anyway, I'm known as MatchaRomateks, and I just wanted to say hello! I specialize in ambient music / mixes, and I have a bit of a soft spot for horror music as a result. Favorite game composers include Akira Yamaoka and Spencer Nilsen (wow, I'm certainly aging myself, aren't I?).

It's nice to meet you all!

Don't worry - we're all old farts on here, by now.

Here's hoping for some solid ambient VG remixes coming from you in the future! It's not an easy feat, but seeing the Mario Airport remix posted recently shows that it can not only be done, it can be done really well. Continue the trend, make good ambient music, and hopefully we can help you out on our WIP boards if you need any guidance.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

first things first: I'm not a composer. I study musicology and I'm currently planning on writing a paper about VG remixes.

My Name is Gregor, though on the internet I usually go by the name of Samsa. I've started listening to remixes from OC Remix and other sites about 5 years ago and it just got to me back then. When I started my studies I kind of forgot this kind of music (normally musicologists listen to Bach, Brahms, Monteverdi and such), but I recently rediscovered my passion for remixes. So if you've got any information about the history and evolution of VG remixes or if you've got some remix on your mind that's especially great: Send me a message, I'm open to suggestions.

Hope to hear from you soon.

2 minutes ago, Gregor "Samsa" Arnold said:

Greetings,

first things first: I'm not a composer. I study musicology and I'm currently planning on writing a paper about VG remixes.

My Name is Gregor, though on the internet I usually go by the name of Samsa. I've started listening to remixes from OC Remix and other sites about 5 years ago and it just got to me back then. When I started my studies I kind of forgot this kind of music (normally musicologists listen to Bach, Brahms, Monteverdi and such), but I recently rediscovered my passion for remixes. So if you've got any information about the history and evolution of VG remixes or if you've got some remix on your mind that's especially great: Send me a message, I'm open to suggestions.

Hope to hear from you soon.

If you have any ludomusicology concepts you want to discuss, we definitely recommend posting in the history & study of VGM forum. :-)
http://ocremix.org/community/forum/56-history-study-of-video-game-music/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! I've been a member for a while but this is my first post! I'm not totally sure if the music I'm making counts as a remix. I'm focusing on taking all the notes written for an NES game and arranging them to be played live by one person on piano giving them a more human element. Rarely am I changing any notes, rhythms, chords etc. but rather adding some variation in the articulation and inflection in the way the music is performed. I love the music of the original NES and want to help preserve it, especially the lesser known games. 

Here is a link to my YouTube page - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvvNsdahFXaTMYQ8gRamzHw/videos

Cheers!
Rob

Hello everyone!

I'm relatively new to these forums, so I guess that would class me as a newbie, but in terms of music composition, I've been involved in music-making since the early 90's.  I've also been involved in Videogaming, primarily Nintendo, since that time too, and for me, the music of a videogame makes or breaks it.  A videogame with good music has always got my attention, and I tried transcribing videogame soundtracks in my earlier years, and learned how to compose myself.  When I started University to study music, I managed to start my course already familiar with most of the material and academic lessons, but it was in 2011 when I saw the E3 Summit in LA and the 25th Anniversary of the Legend of Zelda that my interest really peaked.  I attended the Symphony of the Goddesses Concert every time it came to the UK, and decided I'd want to be a part of it, so after writing some music and sending it to the Producers, I was successful in being contracted to write some music for them.  Since then, I have been working on videogame arrangements in addition to Composing music.  I also Conduct as well.  I joined this group/forum in the hopes of meeting and building connections with new people who share the same interests as I do, and hopefully making music with some of you if I can!  Nice to meet you all, and looking forward to meeting you!! ^_^

Just a brief hello here! Been making music for about a year, and decided this would be a good place to become less isolated in my endeavours. I run a YouTube channel which SHOULD get updated every two weeks... I'm not that great with music at the moment, but hey, maybe if I bash my head against the wall long enough?

Anyone who feels they could use a newbie for some slave work help, feel free to ask. I'm all up for being useful!

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning from Vietnam! My Name is Marcel and I travel around the world since over 2.5 years now! I found my passion for sounds eight months ago in Cambodia and since then I can say I  am field recorder. I record authentic ambient sounds from all the places that I visit and I would love to collaborate and help creators like you by providing my sounds that I record.  Just let me know if there is anything you need! Happy Holiday by the way and a successful new year for all of you! Best, Marcel

• 1 month later...

Hello from a train somewhere near London UK!

I'm a long time fan of the site and a first time poster going by the name RNG or Random Nonsense Gamer depending on usernames being taken!

I'm a video editor first and foremost, but I have an upbringing of playing Tenor Sax and absolutely love composing for fun as an adult. Like most of the people on here I run a YouTube channel that posts one track of music each week, and one review / conversational piece every Saturday.

Wednesday the 31st will be my first video game remix going live with a cover of Sonic 3's Ice cap zone.

If you want to check me out here's a link to the channel, it's much appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwoA4fNZmfE9kd-W-tR8XFA?

Until next time though thank you for being a great community and holla anytime!

Adam xx

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, fellow game music lovers! My name is Eric, and although I am new to these forums, I have heard some of the music created by members of this site before.

I always had a bit of an interest in music, ever since I would watch my father practicing his violin. I started playing the flute when I got to 6th grade...I chose that instrument because it was easy to carry and stow, didn't require reeds, and let me sit next to the cute girls in my grade:) I did pretty well with it, and had success with music performances and competitions throughout high school.

I joined the Marine Corps as a musician after graduation from high school. Music and military..it's quite the amalgamation of lifestyles:) I had the opportunity to travel and perform for many people, at many different places I might not have ever seen had I not joined. After serving my time, I came back home, and gave private lessons in my free time when not at work. In the years since, I also wrote a beginning flute method, and am in the process of writing another book as well.

I have always enjoyed game music (particularly the 8-16 bit era), and I had a good time submitting my first remix/work in progress to this site. I am very inexperienced with this sort of music/arrangement/production, and look forward to some constructive feedback.

I also notice that there is an area on the forums for people to post other original music, and I believe I shall share some music of my own there when I get the chance!

In closing, I look forward to the chance to hear some of ya'll's music, and talking with others that enjoy game music.

Respectfully,

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I signed up a long time ago and never participate, which was a mistake that I want to correct.

My name is Pierre "Le Gobelin", I play piano (since I was 6), synth and use Reason and Native Instrument for my projects (also use Reaper, Live, Chipsound and, from time to time my original GameBoy with Nanoloop). I have several keyboard (Yamaha Electone Me-50, Eko Super Junior A, Alesis Micron and my master keyboard, a Studiologic SL 990-pro)

I have composed for several pieces and I had a band called CHARBON. The group still exist, I just had to leave when I was lived in Paris for work.

I was working in a mastering studio and I now have my own in Arras called Carnunnos Mastering. So I can help with technical subject about sound

I play video games, obviously. Among my favorites, there is Grim Fandango, Sword & Sworcery, Nuclear Throne, Baldur's Gate II, Dragon Age I,Gunstar Heroes, DMC, Bayonetta... well, in fact, I love a lot of differents games... just like music by the way. I love every kind of music, from the moment it touches me and tells something.

Hope to find a place in this huge community

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow video game music enthusiasts. My name's Cody. Even though I've seen the name OCRemix get tossed around a few times, I decided to sign up on the forums a little while ago

Been playing music since 2004 or so, the thing that really got me into picking up a guitar and learning it was video game music (probably something from the Megaman X series)

I've been doing some mostly metal takes on video game themes since 2011 or so just for fun, but I took a break from it a few years ago and started it up again around late 2017 under the name of Merton. And while I think I might have come a long way in terms of mixing since my first bunch of covers, I know I still have a lot of room to improve things on

A small example of some of the stuff I've done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFDYx5fNjXM

On top of some of the metal and stuff that I listen to pretty regularly, I obviously have a soft spot for great video game music, doesn't matter what platform it's on

I do hope to do more in the future. And I can't wait to start thumbing through the vast library of covers on here, and hopefully feel right at home with a lot of talented people

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again.  I originally joined these forums back in October of 2016, but I never posted much.  I have, however, been listening to OC ReMix tracks for much longer.

I like chiptune, synthesizers, metal, MIDI music, and also acoustic, synthy, and dubby stuff with organs, keyboards, etc.

My other interests include pizza, games (everything from NES and DOS classics to modern FPSes), small animals (e.g., spiders, insects, legless lizards), and photographing small animals (spiders in particular).  I also like octopuses (though I don't really eat octopus), classic sci-fi novels, and movies.

- Myrgharok

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo.....I've been here since about 2016, but I'm really starting to be more active and serious about game audio and composition. I've been a fan of OCRemix since I found it in 2016 and have been a game audio fan for about all of my life. I have been making music since 2014. HUUUUGE fighting game fan so, #FGC representation right here. I hope to get to network and meet new people here as well as learn the best I can!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! My name is Kyle; finally making an account after lurking here a while. I am an academic musicologist/librarian type who is interested in communities of vgm music makers like this one & although I don't make music like this (yet?), I'd like to get to know more of y'all and get involved. There's a lot happening here all the time and it is great! Thanks to @BardicKnowledge for unintentionally continuing to remind me to make an account here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! My name is Peter, but my username is that of my synthwave band, Vercetti Fade. 

I say band, but its just me. Anyway, I've listened to remixes from OC Remix for years, but never thought to actually join the community because of travelling/lack of common sense. Happy to be here!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been listening to some OCR albums since a long time ago, since Kong in Concert to be more precise. My favorite ones are the three from the Donkey Kong Country saga and Mega Man X series.

This is my first time in the forum and to be honest I just registered to make a request that I really wish could turn into something bigger. I hope everything turns out OK!

So I started back on this website about 10 or so years ago, but was completely oblivious to the "Help and Newbies" tab (I know, so sad.)

But better late than never, right? :D

I'm Cupcom5 and have been very interested in music since I was a little girl (I like to thank my dad for that, lol)

Anyways, I'm also on Soundcloud, youtube and Newgrounds (As NGKFlower) sharing my works and haven't gotten noticed too much.

Nice to meet everyone, even if I am years behind. XD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello every ones

I'm jmabate from france and I'm a Sega genesis music fan. I've maked somes covers like Musha Aleste, Devil Crash, Thunder Force 2 and 4, Decap-Attack and more to comes.

I've eared about OC Remixer on severals music forum, so I came here and share my VGM passion and make collabs.

thanks.