Mahaboo

The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

3,280 posts in this topic

Hello everybody here at OC Remix!

Hi, I go by D-Ryl Mitchell, D-Ryl Vicious, Vicious, or "Vish" for short. I am looking for a place to where I can be free and accepted and it seems like OCRemix is the perfect fit for my two loves in life: Music and Video games. I am a 25 year old student with many interests and dreams of making a break into the music industry, game industry, or both. My aspiration is to become a professional record producer, or VGM composer, whichever comes my way first.

There is so much I could say but I do not know where to begin, although I have been involved with music and games for practically my whole life, I could never find where to fit in as far as trying to work towards my goals and aspirations. I have done music since about the age of 6 or 7, in my elementary school music program. I decided to join the school band a couple of years later and that's where that begins. I started of as a percussionist because I always wanted to play the drum set. I had done that throughout my whole primary and secondary educational career, but around the age of 13 I started to dabble around in beat making on the computer. I started out doing hip hop but the musician in me lead me to use a lot of experimental sounds. I keep an open mind so I appreciate listening to a number of different genres.

I also like playing games of course, because its fun like brain candy, hehe. Its like interactive movies and stories and other stuff. And I realized that the music in most games invoke emotions in me and keep me really engrossed and immersed in the game, like I'm actually apart of it.

Years down the line after I slacked through most of high school, I finally made it to college, a very confusing and rough start of another chapter of my life. "What do I want as a career?" A question I am asked time and time again. I initially wanted to do game design, but my community college did not have a transfer degree to go towards it. So I went with liberal arts, so I could be able to do something with Japanese. That is something I have been on and off studying for a couple of years now. I started in my junior and senior years in high school and I decided that would be the first language I want to learn. I mean that place is video game paradise.

Fast forward to now, Ive been trying to build an audience from my beat making, but to no avail, I do not know what I have been doing wrong for all these years but I could never find out why I could not build an authentic audience to my sound. I have just the passion to create and I would love to turn that into a living someday, but I don't know how, but I dream everyday and the love for music is what drives me. How ever me being a gamer I meet many other gamers and the community is great because theres all kinds of people you meet every where and you learn and interact with them and they are much more accepting than the hip hop community. So now I am combining my loves into one place, which is why I would like to produce music or compose music for games and/or moves. And I will be reinventing myself into a brand. I will promote myself as much and starting from scratch and work my way up.

This is kind of a lot but thanks to all who read my introduction, I guess I will update on when all my sites and pages and stuff are complete, and I will be learning how to make my way around here and to make myself known through here.

Thanks once again and have a great day!

Hello everybody,

I thought I'd say hi here, since I recently signed up. I've known this website for years and have loved much of the music people produced, especially of my old favorite video game tunes. OCremix has slipped out of my consciousness for some time, but recently popped back in when I listened to older remixes again.
I signed up because I've become a learner-musician myself (started playing piano in 2014) and figured sharing my own remixing efforts and getting feedback from experienced people would be helpful (I posted my first work-in-progress remix here: http://ocremix.org/community/topic/45828-volley-fire-gameboy-stage-a-stage-b-and-stage-select-with-a-touch-of-starfoxs-corneria ).

I can't promise to be super active on all the different forum sections because of health problems. I have to limit my computer time to avoid overloading my brain and causing headaches and problems sleeping (which in my case have unreasonably long consequences). Its a tough life, but I have to deal with it.

I've shared some of my personal history with music in the "About Me" tab on my profile page, if anyone is interested in that.

You have to take my signature as a bit of tongue-in-cheek. I was diagnosed with Asperger's (Autism Spectrum Disorder) about a year ago after years of struggling and finally burning out at work. Don't let the label scare you. We can have relatively normal conversations :) (not too good at small talk, and am usually not one to start a conversation though).

Okay, this is going to turn into a massive autobiography if I'm not careful, so I'll leave it at that for now. So..."hi!"

--RM

Hey Guys I'm Jon and well, I've been doing my own recording since around 2013 or so, and only recently someone has shown me this site and I almost forgot that I signed up here after that particular night.

I hail from the Sunshine State and I tend to do alot of "remaster" style remixes with gaming music, mainly going for the "what happens if we replace bit-sounds with real sounds", such as this piece:

However, I've done much more remix-level stuff, such as this, though it's quite old for me:

I have stuff planned to make in between my normal YouTube content and such, but hopefully I can pick up some new tricks and maybe even collab with someone. 

Hello! I'm Silverpool and after lurking the forums for a few months, I decided to actually post something. I'm 17 and I live in the Seattle area with my family and two cats.

I've loved video games my whole life and I'm a Sonic fanatic. I found OCR through Extra Credits a few months ago and was astounded to find a community of VGM nerds like me. :) As a VGM enthusiast, I'm just starting to learn to make ReMixes. I just purchased FL Studio and I'm ready to begin experimenting.

I've had a lot fun scrolling through the threads and getting to know some of you guys. I really like it here and am looking forward to making my own ReMixes soon.

Greetings. I'm a composer and long-time lurker of these forums.

My interest in music began very early in my life; as a small child, I enjoyed listening to my grandparents' records. Although I enjoyed just about any type of genre, little me found classical music to be the most intriguing of all. Similarly, I enjoyed classical film scores as well, particularly John Williams' work on the Indiana Jones trilogy, and the many stupendous films scored by Erich Wolfgang Korngold, such as The Adventures of Robin Hood or The Prince and the Pauper.

It wasn't until around age 8 or 9 that I ultimately decided to try and teach myself a musical instrument. I was convinced that I didn't require lessons, as, after such a tremendous amount of time spent listening to classical music, the notes, scales and the like had been subconsciously ingrained into my mind. I don't remember precisely what the first tune I taught myself to play by ear was, but I believe it was a brief, abridged excerpt from The Rite of Spring, one of my favorite pieces growing up (and it still is). Over time, my skills improved further and further, and a few years later I began properly studying music theory and learned how to read sheet music. The rest is history.

Oddly enough, my interest in video game music never quite blossomed until, say, several years ago. Granted, video games have always been an important part of my life, from childhood to the present, however, video game soundtracks never particularly interested me. Only in relatively recent times did I begin to study and arrange VGM.

Well, I suppose that's the tip of the iceberg. It's a pleasure to make all of your acquaintances, and I'm sure I'll treasure my time among fellow musicians and composers!