ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on patreon

Sponsors: Bart Verbeek, Cynical Brit, Matt (aka Antidragon), Michael Beauchamp, Wesley "Bahamut" Cho.. + hundreds of supporters! Thanks!!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Luke
Big Boss (+6000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sengin View Post
Whoa whoa whoa...you mean Sephire's vids, which I usually had to wait months for, I now have to wait only a week? Awesome. Are there any plans to upload your previous vids on there now (Uncanny Valley, etc...) so others who haven't seen them before will know they exist (maybe save until you go on vacation/holiday/etc..)?

Also, I gotta say, it really does seem that you guys think of everything. Amazing work. I am seriously hoping some companies (or their employees) start watching these. Great ideas.

sephire, I would recommend re-doing them. Sure it would be a lot of annoying work considering you already did it once but here are some things to consider:

1-the research was already done and you have a lecture model to follow

2-you could improve on any old/rough/rusty things you didn't like and improve upon them in the updated version.

3-you wouldn't have to break the canon of your new series; one wouldn't need to go back and watch your 'talking about these' material to see all of your material, they could get all of the finished rants in one place.

and 4-it's a gimme; because I'm sure you'll run out of stuff to talk about at SOME point.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Andrew Aversa, Balance and Ruin Director, Voices of the Lifestream Director
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Huh... I love EC but this latest video I'm not 100% in agreement with. What is wrong with laws saying kids can't buy M-rated games? How is this any different than kids not being able to watch R-rated movies? Nobody would debate that film ISN'T art, yet virtually everyone accepts that it's OK for films to have ratings, and for children below a minimum age to not view films with certain ratings UNLESS an adult comes with them. What exactly is the problem with this?

Kontakt samples for composers & remixers: Impact Soundworks

My music gear recommendations for $99 or less!

twitter | facebook | youtube
Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Kenneth Keyn, Trenches Composer
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zircon View Post
Huh... I love EC but this latest video I'm not 100% in agreement with. What is wrong with laws saying kids can't buy M-rated games? How is this any different than kids not being able to watch R-rated movies? Nobody would debate that film ISN'T art, yet virtually everyone accepts that it's OK for films to have ratings, and for children below a minimum age to not view films with certain ratings UNLESS an adult comes with them. What exactly is the problem with this?
I'm not entirely sure that was his stance on it. I personally lean more to the side of limiting more mature content from kids (I still can't believe there are seven-year-old kids playing TF2). However, I think he's saying that the limitations placed on games shouldn't be based on the presupposition that video games are toys and therefore for children only and therefore must not contain any mature content. Any limitations on mature content in video games should be treated the same way as it is in any other ART mediums, like film.

Maybe I've got it wrong and that's not what he said. I suppose I'll let him answer for himself, but that's what I understood his position to be.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Alex Kidd (+1850)

Send a message via AIM to HalcyonSpirit
Quote:
The problem is that there is no law stating that kids can't go watch R-rated movies. It's a self-imposed regulation in theaters and stores selling the movies. Same goes for music, if I recall correctly. They do it so as to not have any controversy or anything of that nature that would result in a loss of sales. The ratings are fine, there's no issue with giving movies or games ratings. However, requiring BY LAW that they cannot sell M-rated games to minors is, as far as I know, an unprecedented move on any form of art.

Last edited by HalcyonSpirit; 09-05-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

True, there is no law saying minors can't see an R-rated movie without a parent. But the effect is the same. The entire industry adheres to the MPAA rating system and all movie theaters enforce ratings. To me, the video seemed to be saying (in part) that we shouldn't have ANY restriction on mature content for minors, because minors deserve to be able to decide for themselves. I don't believe that is right - I think the argument should have stayed focused on the legal aspect of things, not a child's right to free speech via buying things.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Daniel Floyd, Extra Credits Scriptwriter & Narrator
Dracula (+2750)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Ashamed Of Self View Post
sephire, I would recommend re-doing them. Sure it would be a lot of annoying work considering you already did it once but here are some things to consider:

1-the research was already done and you have a lecture model to follow

2-you could improve on any old/rough/rusty things you didn't like and improve upon them in the updated version.

3-you wouldn't have to break the canon of your new series; one wouldn't need to go back and watch your 'talking about these' material to see all of your material, they could get all of the finished rants in one place.

and 4-it's a gimme; because I'm sure you'll run out of stuff to talk about at SOME point.
Yeah, that's sort of what we're thinking. We've got a lot of stuff we want to cover soon, but that's the "sort of rerun, but not really" plan I had in mind.

Quote:
True, there is no law saying minors can't see an R-rated movie without a parent. But the effect is the same. The entire industry adheres to the MPAA rating system and all movie theaters enforce ratings. To me, the video seemed to be saying (in part) that we shouldn't have ANY restriction on mature content for minors, because minors deserve to be able to decide for themselves. I don't believe that is right - I think the argument should have stayed focused on the legal aspect of things, not a child's right to free speech via buying things.
The fact that minors might not be able to buy M rated games isn't an issue. I don't think it's the federal government's place to enforce it, but I'm totally fine with kids not buying GTA.

The real issue is that, to pass a law restricting it, they have to convince the Supreme Court that games are like a controlled substance and aren't covered by the first amendment's free speech protection from federal regulation. If the Supreme Court passes this and sets the precedent that games aren't protected, that could be disastrous for this medium.

P.S. Had fun seeing some of you guys at PAX!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Simon Belmont (+2500)

I've been interested in these for a while. It's very nice to see VGs talked about in an intellectual way and for viewers to - GASP! - enjoy it. In fact, I've been trying to correspond with James about an idea I have.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Jimmy Hinson
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...nriching-Lives

video isn't loading for me but there's the link anyway.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
The fact that minors might not be able to buy M rated games isn't an issue. I don't think it's the federal government's place to enforce it, but I'm totally fine with kids not buying GTA.

The real issue is that, to pass a law restricting it, they have to convince the Supreme Court that games are like a controlled substance and aren't covered by the first amendment's free speech protection from federal regulation. If the Supreme Court passes this and sets the precedent that games aren't protected, that could be disastrous for this medium.
Hmm, I see the distinction - I suppose the ideal solution would just be the continued partnering of the ESRB with game retailers, much like the MPAA and theaters.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Tyler Carson
Mega Man (+1000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by big giant circles View Post
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...nriching-Lives

video isn't loading for me but there's the link anyway.
Not working for me either.