Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

I think the issue is that SSB was a nice little game, and fun, but nothing too exciting beyond the concept. Melee blew it out of the water, and Brawl ended up not being as much of a jump between the two, so it felt like we were just playing the same game as Melee, only updated. So after playing Melee for like seven years, Brawl playing mostly the same takes the sheen right off. If one had played Melee for a year or two then stopped entirely, I bet Brawl would have felt a lot more fresh.

I still play Brawl pretty consistently, though. About as consistently as I played Melee, in any case.

and Brawl ended up not being as much of a jump between the two, so it felt like we were just playing the same game as Melee, only updated

If by updated, you mean sluggish, slowed-down, and a removal of almost every advanced technique, then sure, I'd call it updated too. The only way I'd consider brawl being updated is that there are different characters (you can't even completely say "added characters" because some were removed) and a more expanded single-player. Which is fine, but most of the meat of smash is in the versus mode.

Question: if the next SSB (if there'll be a next) is too much like SSBB/SSBM, will you keep on with the series or lose faith? I think I'd lose faith.

Well I don't know. Familiarity and accessibility, those are the two things that will draw gamers to a title. I mean, Mega Man, Street Fighter, Contra? Okay so the first two are both Capcom franchises but you can't deny that people will play sequels even if they're a metric shitload like the previous game in the series.

I think the only way people will be happy with another iteration is if it's melee 2.0 with characters from both games, and all of them more viable :P

I don't honestly care myself well not a lot I miss mewtwo :(, although I think I'd be more likely to buy melee 2.0 with character from melee and brawl mixed together than a brawl 2.0...

Also I can always hope the next game has Tails in it, I might be supremely convinced to main something other than Yoshi in that case. :P (I don't think more 3rd party characters will ever happen though).

If by updated, you mean sluggish, slowed-down, and a removal of almost every advanced technique, then sure, I'd call it updated too. The only way I'd consider brawl being updated is that there are different characters (you can't even completely say "added characters" because some were removed) and a more expanded single-player. Which is fine, but most of the meat of smash is in the versus mode.

I've never played in any real tournaments or anything, so I guess I just don't miss that kind of stuff like other people do. The speed change was negligible for me, and as far as I can tell "advanced techniques" were just the physics going wonky when something specific was done. I'm pretty sure all those techniques weren't discovered on day one, either, so there may yet be more useful ones discovered.

Also I can always hope the next game has Tails in it, I might be supremely convinced to main something other than Yoshi in that case. :P (I don't think more 3rd party characters will ever happen though).

:lol: If 3rd-party characters are ever included, especially from Sega, they better include Tails and Knuckles! Perhaps Shadow too, a phenomenal character. They can leave out the rest of the Sonic characters 'cuz adding them all = doing too much.

This is all wishful thinking, but NO I'm serious, I wanna' see Knuckles.

:lol: Perhaps Shadow too, a phenomenal character.

lol

but yeah Knuckles would be shit on wheels awesome i'd love to see that.

most important of all though, would be Pokemon Trainer. because he is awesome. if any of you are on smashboards i'm doing my best to whip PT boards into shape; PT boards for respectable tier.

lol

but yeah Knuckles would be shit on wheels awesome i'd love to see that.

most important of all though, would be Pokemon Trainer. because he is awesome. if any of you are on smashboards i'm doing my best to whip PT boards into shape; PT boards for respectable tier.

PT is trash tier. Sakurai personally saw to that.

Dragonbrawl Z!

Just modded my Wii to play Brawl with Melee physics, and I have to say I've been playing with the Extreme codes on instead. It's like Dragonball Z with everyone flying around. It's so hard to get a kill because everyone has close to infinite DI. Slow powerhouses like Ganon are really good in this mode. His warlock punch is actually useable.

There's all the little annoyances, and tripping is just stupid, but it's all stuff that could have been worked around. The big problem's really just the hitstun. When you have some characters designed to be juggle or combo centric in a game where everyone can recover instantly then you get a whole lot of characters put into a huge disadvantage. Except for Meta Knight of course, hense all that drama. But you guys have probably heard it all by now so I won't beat a dead horse much more.

I wouldn't be surprised if third party characters became a big point of the next one, if there is a next one. I'd still hold out for Simon Belmont, if only because adding Castlevania music to that massive list of great music would be just wonderful. But whatever happens is what happens.

I just hope the online is a little less rigid next time.

finally got some matches online!

most of them are just ridiculous--we haven't gotten any really good matches yet, but if you guys care you can still see some stuff from waaay back?

http://www.youtube.com/user/coneysugarwater

this one is my favorite. i'm p1. keep in mind that the other mario IS NOT THAT BAD. he's a killer ZSS and pikachu (though you'd never guess it), he's just never played mario before and for some reason though fair was a good combobreaker, or something. this video is one of (if not the) worst he's ever played, but he's a good sport and let me put it up, so be nice will ya ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjl7MBOoK3Y

I may have said this before, but anyway: I'll take a fair win/loss; I will not give myself or anyone else credit for winning with bullshit methods. If I fight online, I don't want some bullshit hacks playing me unless my game has been modded. No point in that! If I have the energy to modify some game, I might as well use my intelligence to make my own game.

I should be expecting a Wii by Christmas.

I may have said this before, but anyway: I'll take a fair win/loss; I will not give myself or anyone else credit for winning with bullshit methods. If I fight online, I don't want some bullshit hacks playing me unless my game has been modded. No point in that! If I have the energy to modify some game, I might as well use my intelligence to make my own game.

I should be expecting a Wii by Christmas.

...what? They're talking about the hack to record matches that are longer than 3 minutes.

Red, Squirtle is the best form of PT, hands down.