So yea...Nintendo 3DS

NeoForte

My first reaction to the 3DS is negative. Because I hate change, and am afraid of new things.

However, this is a Nintendo handheld we're talking about here. Besides that red-colored, headache-inducing Virtual Boy, when has a Nintendo handheld let us down? Supporting 3-D is a bold step for Nintendo, you've got to give them props for that, success or failure be darned. As long as we get more good games, do we really have anything to complain about?

cool story bro.

But yeah iphone gaming is not what's cracked up to be sadly

I still think that Nintendo needs to do "something extra" to outclass the iPhone. There isn't a Castlevania for it yet but we have various Square-Enix games (including FF1 and FF2) and a Metal Gear game and I'm sure more are going to come along.

Basically IMO they can't just release "Nintendo ThreeEssEye" with Gamecube-quality graphics. It'll have to do a little more, like have some way to surf the Internet effectively and to have a more extensive downloadable application system. As someone suggested, being able to download Virtual Console games would be a pretty good seller.

I... don't really see a problem, here (except, of course, if it's unplayable by a certain group of people). So what if it's implementing a system that may or may not be worth it? That probably won't affect you in any way, so what's the beef against it? We really can't know what it's going to hold until E3, so let's just wait for that before assaulting the thing, eh?

Can't shit on what you don't know, you know?

Seriously, Nintendo. Stop doing this all the damn time. When it comes to console development, take your time. Make it right. Make it well. And then LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE.

uh

isn't that what they already do? except for the last part. because "leave it the hell alone" is bad business practice. you gotta update your shit some time.

I still think that Nintendo needs to do "something extra" to outclass the iPhone.

The iphone also has Streetfighter IV on the iphone but I suppose one can imagine how that would go...

Seriously Nintendo does fine on its own playing games. Do you really want to see it cluttered and tied down by telcos? The iphone will never have games as awesome as those that can be had on consoles, console portables or even in comparison to the PC.

I'll say this, if I ever see a good CAVE or Touhou game with perfect precision controls on the iphone, I'll relent on it being a possibly decent gaming platform with other uses beyond it. Other then that I see it nothing more than a phone with some data management capability.

I was all set to buy a DSi-XL too.

Now I'm just going to keep waiting and enjoy No$Zoomer.

Seriously, Nintendo. Stop doing this all the damn time. When it comes to console development, take your time. Make it right. Make it well. And then LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE.

What does this even mean? It's not another DS iteration, it's a new system. How is this the same as DS > DSLite > DSi > DSiXL.

Also, when in recent history has Nintendo ever not made their handheld consoles "right" and "well?"

It's like complaining about Nintendo making the Gameboy Advance because you were just about to buy a Gameboy Color.

Stop whining and buy your DSiXL.

I'm pretty sure that when they mention backwards compatibility(which it's purported to have), it ceases to be a reiteration on the same series.

In short, this is new hardware.

I can't say that I enjoy seeing Nintendo emulating Apple's reiterative style, but it's making money for them I guess and as I said before, this IS the generation of multiple hardware SKUs...

On the subject of iPhone gaming, when the hell did anyone seriously start looking at this? Why are we still taking it seriously?

What does this even mean? It's not another DS iteration, it's a new system. How is this the same as DS > DSLite > DSi > DSiXL.

Also, when in recent history has Nintendo ever not made their handheld consoles "right" and "well?"

It's like complaining about Nintendo making the Gameboy Advance because you were just about to buy a Gameboy Color.

I don't know about you but with the NES console and jumping to the SNES later on, it felt like there was a huge difference in content.

The jump from the old GB to GBC was awkward because it didn't do anything beyond what the Super GameBoy addon for the SNES did. The GB to the GBA-SP, now there a huge difference.

That said, I'll stick to the old DSlite till it dies either by freak accident or other.

Seriously Nintendo does fine on its own playing games. Do you really want to see it cluttered and tied down by telcos? The iphone will never have games as awesome as those that can be had on consoles, console portables or even in comparison to the PC.

The thing is, while there are a fair number of gamers who love advanced, complex games like Castlevania or Touhou shooters or whatever, there are exponentially more gamers who prefer simple games like PvZ, or that stupid paper toss thing, or Farmville. I mean really, Farmville has over 60 million players. That DWARFS World of Warcraft. Thus, the iPhone, and its slew of casual games and timewasters, is definitely a very viable gaming platform simply because it appeals to such a ridiculous number of people.

Y

Regardless of what it may be marketed as, I don't understand what classes this new device as something more than another DS update. It takes the same cartridge format. Its hardware will not be a vast improvement. It just has another feature that, as has been noted, won't really improve gameplay (or, I'd wager, even make the viewing experience much better - would you enjoy Avatar significantly more if you saw it in 3D or less if you didn't?).

Nintendo used to make big changes to its hardware every three to four years. And when they did it was usually significant - it gained color, or a new form factor, or a backlight. But the changes made to the DS have been small and frequent, which indicated Nintendo either starts production on any whim they think of or are especially desperate to cash in on said whim. The DS has been out for 5 years, gone through 4 iterations, and basically looks and acts the way it should have from the start.

Nintendo just hasn't been the same or had any hint of good reputation since July of 2008. And it's all thanks to the White Four: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Wii Music subseries. My brother has a PlayStation 3, which 2009 favored. The XBOX360 has too high of a failure rate. I thought I'd seen the worst when politicians invaded the previous (6th) generation.

As for the 3DS, I have a neutral feeling towards it. I'm not expecting everything out of it, I'm not insulting or flaming Nintendo, I can only say that maybe it will give us new innovation or good software, maybe it won't. If the Unknown 3rd XBOX System doesn't have all the technical problems the 360 did, the adult systems will take over, and Nintendo's long legacy will finally come to an end...but if you ask me, the entire gaming industry will go out of the frying pan and into the fire if that happens.

Blackberry doesn't run JS so I can't edit/add to my previous post.

I mean, the DSiXL isn't even out here yet. This type of thing never happened with the Game Boy series.

it can double post though, apparently

if the 3DS does, in fact, run on a significantly more powerful system than the DS, I'd say that the comparison to the gameboy line would run as such:

Game Boy : Game Boy Pocket : Game Boy Color : Game Boy Advance :: DS : DS Lite : DSi : 3DS

not to mention the three versions of the GBA: the original, SP, and Micro

if the 3DS does, in fact, run on a significantly more powerful system than the DS, I'd say that the comparison to the gameboy line would run as such:

Game Boy : Game Boy Pocket : Game Boy Color : Game Boy Advance :: DS : DS Lite : DSi : 3DS

And now consider the time interval between releases on the game boy side versus the DS side. Consider what games gained, and how much better they were to play, as a result of those updates.

Are we seeing that with these DS updates?