Your mom

Rozovian

Is your mom a bad enough dude to... uh...

So my mom was driving me home from work yesterday, I had a cd with assorted DKC remixes playing in the car. Apparently, she likes djp's Welcome to the Funky House as well as just about anything made from Aquatic Ambiance (such as Riptide which was on the disc).

I know there's been more than one mom mentioned in regards to ocr. A cool mom that likes ocr for the good music, a cool mom who introduced someone to ocr, a cool mom who has contributed to two remixes, etc...

How about your mom? And the rest of your family?

Mom is not a musical person sadly.

My Dad was a drummer in a Dublin new-wave punk band back in the day. I dunno if he could rescue the president, but he's a solid drummer fo sho. He knows of OCR and listens to crap I show him but he's not that bummed. I'm sure I could convince him to play some drums but he's not very prog.

My Mum isn't interested in game music, seems to think it all has a very similar sound to it, which does have some truth to it, however she is a musician, teaches the piano and is a music teacher at her school.

My dad listens to music, but nothing more than that, he was turned off when I played him my mix from knuckles chaotix :P

My sister seemed to think OCR was weird at first, but she did really like Zelda: Link's Awakening Secret Seashells OC ReMix when I played it her (she loves links awakening) Going to win her over with the missingo tracks when it comes out, she is a bigger pokemon nerd than I am, somehow.

As far as this stuff goes, I tell them stuff that happens regarding stuff on the site involving me, but I don't show them anything much, they aren't that interested sadly.

My Mum isn't interested in game music, seems to think it all has a very similar sound to it, which does have some truth to it, however she is a musician, teaches the piano and is a music teacher at her school.

My dad listens to music, but nothing more than that, he was turned off when I played him my mix from knuckles chaotix :P

My sister seemed to think OCR was weird at first, but she did really like Zelda: Link's Awakening Secret Seashells OC ReMix when I played it her (she loves links awakening) Going to win her over with the missingo tracks when it comes out, she is a bigger pokemon nerd than I am, somehow.

As far as this stuff goes, I tell them stuff that happens regarding stuff on the site involving me, but I don't show them anything much, they aren't that interested sadly.

I sort of fall under the same boat here. My mom doesn't really listen to music, and my dad listens only to classical music. My brother used to listen to stuff from OCR, but he pretty much exclusively listens to hip hop/k-pop now. I just keep my role with OCR silent, as there's no reason to really say much about it.

My mom has liked a couple of my remixes that she overheard, but hey, she's obligated to, right? I've played tracks from OCR in the car, and nobody really expresses any interest besides my younger sister.

Basically, there aren't enough country ballads or Eastern Orthodox funeral dirges on OCR for them.

But my parents aren't really video game type people. The extent of my dad's exposure is a bit of Oracle of Ages and Metroid Prime, and the extent of my mom's exposure is seeing me play Super Mario 64 and getting confused about whether I was underwater.

Momma Coop likes Foghat, The Doobie Brothers, some older Van Halen and even some Megadeth (as an example, "Sweating Bullets"). She's also a fan of the ol' doo-wop groups. What she's not fond of, is electronica/dance/trance and all that (which rules out a healthy chunk of OCR, VGMix and such).

Regarding game music, she's not a listener. It doesn't factor into her life at all really. However, I can say the origin of the music doesn't matter as long as it's enjoyable to her. She's heard remixes that she liked and others she didn't, knowing they were remixes from a video game, so...

My parents barely listen to music for fun, they tend to prefer news, television, and movies.

If they do listen to music, it tends to be 60-70s rock (The Beatles). My mom likes Randy Travis and Cantonese pop songs (obviously). I don't think they'd really get into any OCR music.

I played a few songs for my sister that I thought were funny back in 2002 or so, but even though she plays games, she was like "What the hell is this?"

I have played or attempted to play melody lines from video games ever since I played megaman 2 at my neighbors house in my early early youth. Piano, guitar, banjo, anything. Hence whenever I play OCR tracks (or my own WIPs) and my mom was within earshot, she'll say "oh hey I know this song, is this one of those remixes you listen to?". It's pretty cool.

Also, my mom plays Bass, sings, and does signing too.

My mom always liked the OSTs of the DKC series, so there are a handful of songs she likes off both of those OCR albums. There are plenty of other upbeat songs she likes from my playlist as well. Most recently notable is Zircon's Electrodispenser.

My mom doesn't really listen to music very often that I can tell; she never really seems all that interested.

My dad, however, loves music. Certainly, there are musical genres that he stays away from—heavy metal, rock, and some heavier electronic stuff for example—but he's constantly blown away by the talent of both the original composers, and of the people who reinterpret those original source tunes. In fact, not too long ago, he requested a birthday present from my brother and I. He wants a CD or two of the various songs we've shown him over the years; a good portion of these will be OCR tracks. His favorite is probably the Super Mario Bros. 2 ReMix, "Gypsy Jazz" by Adrian Holovaty.

My sister is about as big a nerd as I am, so she's always up for a good ReMix or two, though I don't think she actively searches for and downloads them. She's a fan of several Zelda mixes as well as "Subterranean Kamikaze" by Zircon and Sixto Sounds.

My brother can be somewhat picky when it comes to music, but he has downloaded a few tracks off the site and listens to them. I've heard him rockin' some of Sukotto42's "Blue Balls" Mega Man 3 medley.