Chiptunes ...?

Krakozhia

Gotta love composer-wankage

Unless its actual wankage then nah i'm good thanks.

Sam i love your remixes dude and your skills on the piano are amazing, i believe what was being put across was "if you have the talent to show them what you can really do then why not" and if it helps the music integrity of the piece then great which in most cases it does.

Some people see it as showing off, others see it as expanding the original musical integrity of a track.

Personally I'm amazed this thread has been going strong for this long you guys.

I'm totally lost on the argument here. What exactly is everyone getting their panties bunched up for? A chiptune remix that was declined 6 years ago? The dignity of the chiptune genre? OCR submission standards?

Do you really think the community and administration here is so redneck on chiptunes that it justifies this kind of reaction? You're all just arguing to argue and getting way too uptight on a single genre of music that was never underappreciated here in the first place.

Chiptunes are awesome. Chiptunes are vibrant and dignified and chiptunes are the foundation of videogame music - the whole point we're here... but c'mon, get the F over yourselves already. There's no real problem here, so quit making one.

Every ten posts or so someone says this kind of stuff and then we get replies to it because that post is just begging for a response. If you'd like Meteo, I can instead just ask everyone to ignore your post so that everyone "does" stop posting and responding to dumb stuff, but I know they won't, now that you've put this out there and will accomplish exactly the opposite of what your post "wants", but hey, thanks for being constructive to the convo and all ;)

I can't remember which track exactly, but it was an entirely chiptune remix of a Zelda song that after about two minutes just had a 5 minute solo that went nowhere and really didn't add all that much to the existing track.

The term I used in my head when I heard that was "overly self-indulgent" - if you don't prefer visceral descriptions.

I hope if you respond, you do to the actual content of what I'm saying.. rather than my tone.. telling me to chill.. because that again makes a false assumption in order to dismiss my point... starting to see a pattern here?
Yeah I wasn't going to reply, but your tone is annoying now.

You know I was being light hearted, you know I was trying to avoid needless conflict, so why persist?

This thread is dumb and ended ages back.

I'm totally lost on the argument here. What exactly is everyone getting their panties bunched up for? A chiptune remix that was declined 6 years ago? The dignity of the chiptune genre? OCR submission standards?

Do you really think the community and administration here is so redneck on chiptunes that it justifies this kind of reaction? You're all just arguing to argue and getting way too uptight on a single genre of music that was never underappreciated here in the first place.

Chiptunes are awesome. Chiptunes are vibrant and dignified and chiptunes are the foundation of videogame music - the whole point we're here... but c'mon, get the F over yourselves already. There's no real problem here, so quit making one.

The discussion happening in this thread is pretty healthy. Don't really need more posts like this.

The discussion happening in this thread is pretty healthy. Don't really need more posts like this.

It WAS pretty healthy, but now I don't know what we're trying to establish. It started out on submission guidelines for chiptunes, then an administration response, then a discussion on tenements of chiptunes, then why Espergirl wasn't accepted 6 years ago, then an aggressive reaction from Ubiktune artists... now Sam and Protodome are fighting...

I mean, hell, you ended the topic yourself. "Just submit chiptunes."

Every ten posts or so someone says this kind of stuff and then we get replies to it because that post is just begging for a response. If you'd like Meteo, I can instead just ask everyone to ignore your post so that everyone "does" stop posting and responding to dumb stuff, but I know they won't, now that you've put this out there and will accomplish exactly the opposite of what your post "wants", but hey, thanks for being constructive to the convo and all ;)

CHALLENGE ACCEPTE---- wait I'm tired, going to bed.

Oh, and

I still can't find where DJP says "Chiptunes are against OCR policy". He only hints that it's near impossible.
Again, if the standards need modification, let me know, but I think they clearly emphasize that production is 50% of the ballgame, and enumerate some of what we consider to be production qualities, and inherently certain genres or styles (straight chiptunes, kazoo mixes) are going to be ruled out by virtue of those requirements.

I don't see how you're missing it. Doesn't say that straight chiptunes are going to be nearly ruled out.

Hmmmm....

It's good to see this being discussed, though. Hopefully we'll see more chiptune remixes being submitted after this. It sounds like some things have been no'ed that were actually pretty good, and that sort of threw what people perceived was acceptable for submission.

I really like a lot of the music linked, by the way. :smile:

If I were a moderator, I'd close the thread; otherwise it will continue receiving comments(just like this one :razz:). It looks like all that needs to be said has been said, and it's up to the judges, djp and the moderators need to just figure out if any action needs to be taken or what.

I've wide-toothed combed through all 29 pages to avoid a dreaded double-post and I have yet to see someone say this, so I'll suggest it:

If I don't see a remix on April 1st utilizing only ONE instrument from some of these mentioned in the thread so far (non-exhaustive list), I'm going to be very disappointed:

Wind chimes

Gregorian chant

solo voice (Han?)

Kazoo

Zimbabwe uyulating

Yogic rock banging

Nose flute

Mellotron

Xylophone

Barbershop

Harpsichord

Pipe organ

Marimbe

Steel drum (hint: SMB 3 and SMW have tracks that sample them already)

I want to see at least 4-6 mixes. Fry up your killer studio chops and get to work... NICE work.

I've wide-toothed combed through all 29 pages to avoid a dreaded double-post and I have yet to see someone say this, so I'll suggest it:

If I don't see a remix on April 1st utilizing only ONE instrument from some of these mentioned in the thread so far (non-exhaustive list), I'm going to be very disappointed:

Wind chimes

Gregorian chant

solo voice (Han?)

Kazoo

Zimbabwe uyulating

Yogic rock banging

Nose flute

Mellotron

Xylophone

Barbershop

Harpsichord

Pipe organ

Marimbe

Steel drum (hint: SMB 3 and SMW have tracks that sample them already)

I want to see at least 4-6 mixes. Fry up your killer studio chops and get to work... NICE work.

Dude, there will be a marimba remix from me, don't you worry. Maybe not xylophone, though. That's an irritating sound. Once, I did a remix that was only live instruments: marimba, vibraphone, piano, drumset, and... me singing. It's that last instrument that keeps it from going anywhere than my youtube page.

http://youtu.be/RdC4I7HhNrU

I thought about posting this a while back but was intimidated by a lot of factors. I realize I'm late to mention it because we've beaten the Nespergirl issue to death, but I feel that since no one has mentioned this posted mix that was evaluated by the judges' panel it bears mention: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01469/. My memory may not serve as well as I would like but I recall there was at least some outrage that "See Sixty Funk" passed but Nespergirl didn't. In retrospect the right decisions were made, although it feels to me that the precedent led to the current drought of chiptunes, which is now seen as the wrong outcome and people who choose to arrange game songs utilizing purist chiptune standards (and similarly soundalikes) should consider submitting their songs to be evaluated for addition to the OCR collective. Then again, Children of the Monkey Machine's 68030 said it best when he told #ocremix that getting into arrangement just to be posted is like golfing for the green jacket. Make cool tunes and submit them because you want to share, not because you want to have a chiptune posted on OCR.

Well, I'm actually a little curious on something since production seems to be the issue. What about the quality of the chiptune album Capcom released a bit back "Chiptuned Rockman". Would the songs from those be a good possible guideline for chiptune production since it was an official album or would that still not fall into OCR's guidelines?

Whoa dude that album is awesome. This thread has been great for discovering excellent chiptune music.

Well seeing as someone has reopened this thread, i had an idea of combining bass guitar with chiptune, basically got the idea from the sonic generations credits and thought perhaps someone with the skills of either would like to try this idea out.

Thats pretty much all i had in mind :P

• 4 years later...
19 hours ago, RushJet1 said:

Bump

For

Relevance 

Yup, little bit of history. It's taken time to fully crystallize, but the real intent was to prevent stuff where lack of consideration for panning, soundscape, mixing, mastering, etc. was written off as "just part of the genre" and a whole suite of decisions mooted as a result, which we didn't want. Namely, at the time (perhaps still?) people were taking 16-bit SNES sources and "demaking" them into NES versions that were, in addition to not being particularly interpretive from an arrangement perspective, not indicative of what chiptune as a genre is capable of. That's more or less what I meant about "straight" chiptunes, but the phrasing wasn't as clear as it could & should have been.