I have a feeling that this might dig up a big smattering of debates on what is what, but I still want to ask it for I think that it will be a good way to help people organize and select (for occasions) their music.

I was wondering if there is a list out there, or if it is at all possible to talk to the staff and get a listing (and have it posted with the songs) of the Genres of all the songs currently on OCRemix.

I know I already have most of the songs here on the site, and know a good chunk of the songs genres by heart... but I'm at work, and after 30 hours of awake or so my brain stopped functioning correctly... so if anyone has a fairly current list, or if we can get the staff to concider adding it to the song profiles of what song is genre, please let me know?

I know alot of people would like this idea and support it if it were to get implemented.

Anyone got a list, or any other ideas pertaining to the subject matter at hand?

Alright, I can completly understand the site reasons, and might be doing the same thing myself, if I were running it...

I love all the song on here, but when searching for genre to fit a spefice mood when you don't have the massive list (Like I do on my PC) it's kinda hard sometimes, and I end up listening to the same things over and over....

So perhaps does someone have one that they can post/host/e-mail per chance?

Or just a good list of mellow songs, preferably full or psuedo orchestral?

Gecko and Nutritious summed up why we explicitly don't classify by genre. It limits listenership and it's also hard to do in the first place.

You can make a separate thread if you're looking for some suggestions by a specific genre, which will at least be more of a discussion (and will also eventually go away :-)

LISTEN TO ANY OC REMIX. DON'T END UP AVOIDING SOMETHING YOU'LL LIKE BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO SCARED OR STUBBORN TO LISTEN TO IT. Form an opinion based on what the track sounds like, not on what you THINK it would sound like.

Use the Ormgas.com official OCR radio webstream to sample different mixes with 0 effort from yourself.

• 1 year later...

K, I know it would take a TON of time... but wouldn't it help some people who are trying to find remixes to add a Genre to OCR songs, and then allowing them to search by that?

I know I've visited OCR numerous times looking for a specific song genre... whether it be Techno/Electronica/Dance, Rock, Classic-ish, Blues, etc. But I get here only to remember that I'm going to have to blow through hundreds of Remixes to MAYBE find one or two songs that I'm kinda looking for.

It would even help further if they could also be seperated into subgroups (like Punk Rock under the "Rock" genre, and Death-Metal under the "Metal" genre.

I just don't want to have to ask in the general forums "I'm looking for this kind of song," because I'd probably do it a LOT if I didn't stop myself every time

Again, I KNOW it would take a great deal of time, and I don't expect it to happen yesterday, I'm just saying, it's a suggestion (That, admittedly enough, has probably already been suggested.)

Quoted from the FAQ of the site

Why aren't the ReMixes categorized by genre, i.e. techno, jazz, orchestral, etc.?

OC ReMix has no intentions of categorizing pieces by genre. We've discussed this matter several times - what it boils down to is a feeling that:

* There are many pieces that don't fit nicely into genres or have multiple genres, and putting them in "miscellaneous" and "multiple" categories would be kind of lame; and

* Part of the purpose of the site is to open people's minds (and ears) to new horizons. Try everything. If all you want to do is download Square techno, so be it, but you'll be missing out on tons of great songs. We've decided not to implement a system that would encourage that kind of navigation.

A third reason could potentially be that djpretzel would feel lonely having the only piece in the hillbilly genre, but we think the first two reasons are strong enough.

:wink:

I am of this same mindset, but we have to respect the wishes of the site's owner and operators. This also allows for VGMix to retain one of its niches. VGMix has classifications and rankings, so if you're intimidated by the hundreds of remixes then you can start there and then ease into OCR. That's what I did anyway. And that's also why I like both sites for what they are.

The other issue is that debates tend to flare up over genre classification... especially when you try to finely dice it up (like subgenres of metal or electronica). I don't know if that happens here, but at least in my experience elsewhere, genre discussions have a high likelihood of descending into arguments over semantics and technicalities that.

'Course it's also worth mentioning that OCR isn't the one and only standard for all things remixed. There're other places with different goals in mind, like VGMix or OLRemix, and it's not like anyone's in competition with one another. Then again, it's not really possible to compete with the amazing quality that is OLRemix. KF